TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint guys - Roller job question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

There are several write ups on the web about people who roller painted their cars and had great results.  My question, if I was going to do this, would be what percentage of all roller painted cars turned out that well?  I have no idea, really - maybe it's just as high - or higher - than successful spray paint jobs.  I just know that MOST people aren't going to put out a blog talking about how rotten their project turned out.

there should be some honest pics and close ups in the thread.

1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:29pm
Judging a paint job by a pic might as well have this guy paint it too.

underdog View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

There are several write ups on the web about people who roller painted their cars and had great results.  My question, if I was going to do this, would be what percentage of all roller painted cars turned out that well?  I have no idea, really - maybe it's just as high - or higher - than successful spray paint jobs.  I just know that MOST people aren't going to put out a blog talking about how rotten their project turned out.

there should be some honest pics and close ups in the thread.

Love the Ray Charles photo. RA3, I don't think this the Home Depot crowd here. I think (think) being the key word, This Forum is out to save these cars best we or they can. Really if you can't do the correctly and you can protect the required areas needing attention till later, Drive it like it is and Please do not think about roller painting any car. Do so trading and help someone out to get a favor to the one that can at least spray the car. I have painted many a car in a driveway and barn and garage exposed to the weather. Never ever rolled one and glad I did not. I would rather deal with a run in the paint than a roller job. My personal opinion and nothing more.
Steve
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 7:26pm
I'm gonna be in the minority here I think.....

I've not done a car, but I've done roller on a couple of small boats and even wooden furniture. *IF you use the right paint/mix, use high quality/lint free rollers, do the work to make every coat awesome, use serveral coats, and really buff shine the last coat, it can look great. BUT.... all that extra work is a lot harder and far more time consuming. Seriously weigh your cost in time,  energy and patients in comparison to they relative ease of a decent spary. Good luck either way.

Edited by PlazinJavelin - May/03/2011 at 7:27pm
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:26pm
I'm going to do a roller paintjob just to make a couple posters in this thread lose an hour of sleep. 
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:40pm
Its YOUR car, do it the way YOU want. And please post pics when completed. 
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

Its YOUR car, do it the way YOU want. And please post pics when completed. 

Absolutely.

underdog View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:30pm
Well now that is out of the way... What's for lunch?
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 9:52am
Three or four years ago, one of the magazines did a Falcon using the roller method. They use Rust-O-Leum which was a great selection since thier canvas white enamel is an exact match for the Ford Wimbeldon/Coronbthian white. (My '63 Falcon was that color and I touched it up with the Rust-O-Leum and you couldn't tell where I had touched it up). The final cost was just over $100.00 and it came out OK. If I recall correctly, they did six or seven coats. I wouldn't recommend it for a show car but a knock around beater, why not?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by underdog underdog wrote:

Well now that is out of the way... What's for lunch?

Infusino's? I like the gnocchi, but they have a nice ham sandwich on a pretzel roll (I order Swiss cheese).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic