TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint guys - Roller job question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint guys - Roller job question
    Posted: May/02/2011 at 5:58am
Purely hypothetical at this point, please don't try to dissuade me as I'm not even ready to do anything yet. Simply curious:

Most roller paint job guides advocate thinning the paint and wetsanding after each coat. The paint thinning I understand, the wetsanding I'm not sure I get. Reason being, if you're wetsanding out the orange peel anyway, couldn't you just wetsand the final coat down to a mirror finish AFTER laying down enough paint to give you enough thickness? Or is there an added benefit of wetsanding the orange peel out of EACH coat that I'm not seeing?

Thanks.
algaines View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote algaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 6:05am
Sounds logical to me, but the use of a roller on a nice car makes me shutter, lol.
68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 7:54am
Seen some mighty fine looking roller jobs. Plus, paying $100 for your paint job and having the ability to do any future bodywork or touch ups seamlessly is a big pro.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:07am
  When you roll on paint you're puttinh it on much thicker than it would be if it was sprayed.
  You're sanding each coat as it's dried, and the sanding helps it dry through even better.   If you put on several coats one after another the first coats won't dry through if you load on another coat, it may never dry completely.

You can get solvent popping when you put paint on too thick or too fast even with spray painting, you're just begging for the same results when rolling on several coats.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:07am
You could, but I think it would be more work, as you would be sanding out other imperfections that ocured (fish eyes and drops), and those will increase in size with each layer that is put over them.
68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:08am
That makes sense. I suppose it would be more work. 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:14am
  I've seen a lot of pictures of rolled paint jobs,  but as i've said don't ever judge a paint job by pictures.  With the right light and camera angle, any paint job ( even primer ) can look good. 

I've seen 3 rolled on paint jobs with my own eyes, all 3 looked like crap up close, or distant.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:23am
if you are using a roller to paint  your car, its never going to look good.  but to each his own i guess
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:58am
  Before they started using sprayguns in the 20s, all cars were painted this way, except with a brush.  It's not exactly cutting edge technology.  With the right paint, and techniques, a good job can be achieved this way.   But so far i've never seen any roller paint jobs that were even remotely acceptable.
  There's  maybe almost as many ways to screw up a roller job as a spray job, and most people think they can shortcut the learning process.

Edited by tyrodtom - May/02/2011 at 8:58am
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 9:25am
Check out some boat sites, there are a lot of guys who swear by the "roll and tip" method using marine paints like Awlgrip, Petit, and Interlux. 

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic