TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint guys - Roller job question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71redman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:55am

You dont have to get rid of the fisheyes, drops and runs. Wet sand,paint over them, and you will never know they were there. A bug lands on the paint, no problem, paint over them. The only reason I can see to sand after a few coats is to keep the sanding to a minimum at the end. Start with 600, 800, 1000 and finally 1500. Your paint job with a roller will be as good as the time you put into it. The good thing, you can work on for a while, and come back to it later. Rock chips, scratches, etc., pull out the rustoleum and touch it up. A perfect match! I did paint a car with a roller a few years ago, and people were amazed at the results. If you want to save time, however, go to Harbor Frieght and get a HVLP gun. Only like $15.

algaines View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote algaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 1:34am
I have no idea why people treat AMC's this way. These are great cars, why would you treat it like junk unless it's a daily pile you drive daily. Would someone with a Camaro, Mustang, Goat, Malibu, Chevelle, Cuda, RT, or even a VW. ever talk about painting their car with a paint roller. Do it right the first time with a paint gun with good paint and you won't be driving a pile of junk. My car is a '71 Javelin SST with Diamont Extreme Rainbow paint job with 3 sets of flames and Lavender Candy 2 tone top. I went to the Mopar Nationals with several hundred Mopars there and I took paint job of the show. Why treat your ride thiis way unless you don't like AMC's. I am not trying to offend anyone, but it just pops my cork when I can win a beautiful trophy by beating the Big 3 cars a t a large event and then go to the AMC Regional Meet and they give out award like a piece of aluminum bent over with a little hot wheel car glued to it. Do you get it, if you don't care about the AMC ride you have, sell it to someone who will treat it with respect and pride, let's have some pride in our rides. Thank you for letting me rant about the AMC cars I love. Wish I could show you my care, but I can't post my pic, you can see my ride on Powerblock under Mustlecars and AMC's. 61 trophies so far and going for more in a couple weeks, it's been a long winter, whew. Thank you/
68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:41am
Originally posted by algaines algaines wrote:

I have no idea why people treat AMC's this way. These are great cars, why would you treat it like junk unless it's a daily pile you drive daily. Would someone with a Camaro, Mustang, Goat, Malibu, Chevelle, Cuda, RT, or even a VW. ever talk about painting their car with a paint roller. Do it right the first time with a paint gun with good paint and you won't be driving a pile of junk. My car is a '71 Javelin SST with Diamont Extreme Rainbow paint job with 3 sets of flames and Lavender Candy 2 tone top. I went to the Mopar Nationals with several hundred Mopars there and I took paint job of the show. Why treat your ride thiis way unless you don't like AMC's. I am not trying to offend anyone, but it just pops my cork when I can win a beautiful trophy by beating the Big 3 cars a t a large event and then go to the AMC Regional Meet and they give out award like a piece of aluminum bent over with a little hot wheel car glued to it. Do you get it, if you don't care about the AMC ride you have, sell it to someone who will treat it with respect and pride, let's have some pride in our rides. Thank you for letting me rant about the AMC cars I love. Wish I could show you my care, but I can't post my pic, you can see my ride on Powerblock under Mustlecars and AMC's. 61 trophies so far and going for more in a couple weeks, it's been a long winter, whew. Thank you/

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Check out 69chargeryeehaa's post about him painting his '69 Charger and his 1971 and 1974 Beetles using a roller. That Charger is worth more in an unpainted state than any of our cars in a show quality state. Apparently you missed the part where I said "don't try to dissuade me", which I said in order to point out that I'm not even in the process of doing this, so it's pointless to talk me out of it. It's not happening.

Although, if you love AMCs so much, feel free to throw about 5 grand my way so I can paint my car like yours. Until that happens, let me do whatever I want with the car that I paid my own money for, even if you don't like it. Not all of us can afford your show winning paint job, and would rather have color on the car so we can at least drive it.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:28am
Doesn't take 5 grand.
My Eagle will be painted by me, and I bet I have all of 1K into it when done, if that.
It'll be old-skool, acrylic enamel.

I saw mentioned about "before spray guns...."
Yes, TRUE - and I've seen some very nice ORIGINAL tractors and engines (like those I collect) that were hand painted and even hand pin-striped, however, we're also talking different paints, different brushes. The finish is mirror smooth on a lot of the high-end engines, and the finish looked like cow crap on the "economy" engines. Some of the tractors looked really nice.
But keep in mind, there wasn't a lot of nice smooth sheet metal, either. A lot of castings.
Some engines the cast iron was smoothed over with clay. These were craftsmen with materials that no longer exist as far as the paints.
But we're going back 100 years.......... in the 30s things had progressed well beyond brushes. (except for the pin striping, which was still brushed on, such as the hood and radiator of my F20)

On the brush jobs - I'm sure glad you mentioned about judging by photos. I can make MY cars look great in the photos I post..............

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:58am
Save the roller for the walls on your house. Roller overlap and amount of peel would require more sanding than its worth. Rollers are moree designed for flat sheen paints rather than deep shine paints.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:21am

Buy a cheap paint gun.    rollers are for houses.   Ive seen roller paint jobs on cars,and they looked it too. and if you are going to do it yourself, it wont cost 5K either.

Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:53am
Like I said before, I've seen some outstanding roll and tip paint jobs on boats, some much larger than autos.  I don't know much about the specifics of auto paints versus marine paints, but the guys who know how to roll and tip use gloss paints that finish with a nice mirror to them.  A lot of boat guys are as particular about their paint, waxes, and shines as the car crowd is.

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/howto/sterling_roll_tip.php

Again, your mileage may vary.  It's always a choose your poison proposition.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
BenM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:58am
First time I tried one, I didn't get the paint thin enough and the orange peel was pretty bad, lots of sanding and I still didn't get rid of all of it. Of course it still looked better then the rest of the car which had some kind of faded paint that oxidized after a week no matter how I waxed it, and that was done by a "professional" body shop.

Get some sponge brushes to touch up, and don't be worried if you can still see through the first coat. Take your time and don't be worried if the first time isn't perfect, like everything you need a little practice. The finished product will still look better then rust and chalky paint.
76 Pacer
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:48am
We toyed (seriously) with the idea of painting my car ourselves.  Seriously.  I still think we could have done a decent job, BUT in hindsight, I am glad we went with a body shop. The forcing factor for us was the time of year.  Delays on the project pushed the painting into the winter months and it's just too cold here for us to keep the garage we were converting into a paint shed warm. We did work out a deal with the paint shop where we did the stripping ourselves, and most of the other prep work.  It kept the costs down considerably. It's not a hot rod paint job, but it is close, and is better than we could have done.  Another factor is I was dealing with a fussy metallic- I've heard the light metallics are among the hardest to keep even - so that played a part in our deciding to go with a pro.

When I was researching painting, I came across several articles about roller painted cars.  It can come out nice - BUT most of the write ups said the cars faded badly withina few years - I assume this was due to the paint used, as I don't see how the delivery method would do this - just an FYI.

jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:54am
Hey, if someone wants a car and are on a budget then more power to them. If you save the body with a brushed, rolled, or sprayed job then you saved the body period for the next person in line. As with any of the paint styles that the prepping of the metal is the biggest concern. Getting all the supplies is not cheap to be able to sand that much paint and body. The car on Powerblock does not have a $5000 job on it and I am sure that it is worth more than that. If you placed well at Mopar Nationals then you have well into a $10,000+ job. However you lay the paint down doesn't fully determine what the finish will be like. I am a bit curious as to how much work my $500 gun saved me. I still had to sand on the car and buff it out. All the while the 1300 compressor, 200 wiring job, the 100 in lines for the garage, and the dual industrial water traps and regulators on each end, dual hose reels, additional loose air line as you don't want to drag and stir up dirt, enclosing up the space to minimize the overspray as my garage is a wreck now compared to what it was when I moved in, all the sandpaper and blocks. Let's see a tape, brush, roller, tray, closed garage with wet floor, a lot of time, sandpaper, blocks, and water. Not to mention buffing compound and the buffer.      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic