TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint guys - Roller job question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint guys - Roller job question
    Posted: May/04/2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Ya know guys I have to back up a step and say I did in fact roller a vehicle. Well part of one any way.  

Mom's 1994 dark green Voyager van had such a bad case of sun-burned peeling paint on the roof that I decided to do something about it last year on my visit to Floridq. I only had a few hours and no serious tools, so I sanded the roof pretty much down to metal (some primer left), bought a gallon of white rustolem and a couple of lint free rollers, taped it off at the drip rails, windshields (front and back) and layed down two coats.  Turned out nice. At least 50 times better than what was left of the peeling old paint anyway. I didn't bother with any pictures at the time, but the neighbors were impressed. I'm visiting again next week. Maybe I'll post a pic from FLA if I get a chance.

Hey Underdog, not sure but I think mom's neighbor in FLA might have your old dune buggy. 'Cause it looks almost exactly like this one. That model very common? Don't see many on the net any way.

http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html

Yes we want pictures of the roller job Wink
That is a common dune buggy body I had a yellow one back late 70's early 80's. Took it to Cape Cod, MA one summer on the dunes and off road thru the woods jumping it here in CT. Did not handle too good in the rain, too light up front LOL but was a lot of fun. I also had a top but first road test it blew off so it never went back on.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 6:01pm

Ya know guys I have to back up a step and say I did in fact roller a vehicle. Well part of one any way.  

Mom's 1994 dark green Voyager van had such a bad case of sun-burned peeling paint on the roof that I decided to do something about it last year on my visit to Floridq. I only had a few hours and no serious tools, so I sanded the roof pretty much down to metal (some primer left), bought a gallon of white rustolem and a couple of lint free rollers, taped it off at the drip rails, windshields (front and back) and layed down two coats.  Turned out nice. At least 50 times better than what was left of the peeling old paint anyway. I didn't bother with any pictures at the time, but the neighbors were impressed. I'm visiting again next week. Maybe I'll post a pic from FLA if I get a chance.

Hey Underdog, not sure but I think mom's neighbor in FLA might have your old dune buggy. 'Cause it looks almost exactly like this one. That model very common? Don't see many on the net any way.

http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html

Edited by PlazinJavelin - May/04/2011 at 6:03pm
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

underdog View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

[QUOTE=FuzzFace2]
When he said Lunch I think it was for dinner if you look at the posted time.
Dave ----

Maybe he was already there for lunch and decided to hang for dinner.LOL
[/QUOTE]I have to address this one. Being from Flordia, We call it Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. It was late when posting and I had not had lunch yet, And I drank dinner.
Steve 
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot
underdog View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:32pm
Here's what red flagged me. The comment after all was posting that you were going to roll it anyway and hoped some lost sleep. Checking your profile as to why, I learned your very young. My parents taught me to respect folks older. Your life is just starting and for someone to share what they have lived a know is a gift not a requirement. The Phrasing of verbiage and the terminology is a curve ball on your part. I would rather have read, I am 17 years old and looking for some guildence about my car if someone can help. Now this is my take on this only. This is not Facebook or some chatting twitter. I believe fans come to share and learn from others. And even today, I will respect and feel honored if a older person takes thier time to help me with a question. Not.. Well I am doing it my way anyway so you loose sleep.
Steve
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by 68JavelinSST 68JavelinSST wrote:

Addressing "paint guys" should have been the queue for people who know about PAINT to chime in and answer the question for me, NOT the queue for people who spent 2-5 thousand paying someone ELSE who knows about paint to paint their car.

Wasn't me. My son painted my Ambassador when he was 16 and I know for a fact that I didn't give him a couple grand.LOL
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Dave ----

Maybe he was already there for lunch and decided to hang for dinner.LOL
68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Quote I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.

You should know better by now. LOL

I know, I know. Been awhile since I posted. Thumbs Up
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:58pm

Quote I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.

You should know better by now. LOL

PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:39pm
Yes, I am Dan and I graduated HS in 2010. I haven't had it in my mind that I'm going to do a roller job. In fact, I probably won't paint at all for quite some time. Which is, of course, the reason I posted THIS before I even asked my question:

"Purely hypothetical at this point, please don't try to dissuade me as I'm not even ready to do anything yet. Simply curious"

So, all of the older and more experienced members you speak of must not have any reading comprehension if you or anyone else thought my question was "should I roll my car", when it was really more like "hey, I'm curious about the nature of paint for this reason".

Addressing "paint guys" should have been the queue for people who know about PAINT to chime in and answer the question for me, NOT the queue for people who spent 2-5 thousand paying someone ELSE who knows about paint to paint their car.

I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

Originally posted by underdog underdog wrote:

Well now that is out of the way... What's for lunch?

Infusino's? I like the gnocchi, but they have a nice ham sandwich on a pretzel roll (I order Swiss cheese).
Gnocchi sounds good but I know that I could toss down a trough of sauseeege and peppers.
Were you talking lunch or dinner?
Funny you say sauseeege and peppers as that is what I am making tonight for dinner.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic