TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Average cost to replace a rocker panel??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 11:29am
It could be very pricey to get the whole thing replaced.
The shop will probably X-brace the door opening and at least one Xbrace at about rear door edge to the floor and roof panels to keep it all straight.
  Then all the work of replacing the rocker assembly. I'd open that patch up and see what is really going on in there.
   While  nice new entire rocker assembly would be sweat, it may not be the best way to fix what you are describing.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 12:29pm
If you have the tools, patience, and can weld, this is something that can be done at home. Besides the bracing Wrambler mentioned, you also need to support the front frame sills so they don't move once you cut out the rocker panel. You can do this with jack stands and shims. Pulling the engine and trans will also help take stress off of the frame sills. The important thing to do is to get the car properly supported and braced before you cut anything out. Once you think you have it right, you need to make sure that the doors, windows, and trunk lid line up properly and everything opens and closes easily. This means that you may have to rebuild hinges and make other repairs before you start cutting.

Also, the TSM will have a frame dimension chart that will give you the measurements you need to make sure everything is lined up. You'll need to have a level and true floor (or framework) to use them.

I replaced sections of the outer and middle rockers on my 68 American several years ago. My inners were good but you can at least see what I did (the structure is basically the same so it doesn't really matter that it's a 4 door American): http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/drivers_quarter_panel04.shtml.

Once thing I've since learned is that you need to weld in reinforcement plates at your joints to make them stronger.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 12:39pm
Yeah, I believe they are called fish plates?
Look something like this

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2011 at 9:47pm
Looks like a LOT of fabrication is needed if you arent useing a factory replacement part, so I guess I am lucky that I have a total assembly from a rust free california car.

I am going to take a wire brush on a drill to the floor pan and inner rocker to remove the coating on it so the patch will show up better in pictures that I'll post. It blends in too well now to see it clearly...

I really want to to get this repaired so I can start on the carpet restoration and headliner. Hopefully I can get this done and the car possibly repainted in Frost white to bring to Sturbridge at the end of the summer.

I am very suprised that no one has responded with a cost that they incured to have a place install a new rocker. Seems like most just patch it themselves.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

I am very suprised that no one has responded with a cost that they incured to have a place install a new rocker. Seems like most just patch it themselves.
If a professional performs the repairs, it is typically  Time, Labor & Materials. Every job is different & that is because were there is one rusted panel, there is another rusted panel. Removing one panel exposes more rust or damages. This is one of the reasons many body shops refuse to work on rusted cars. You quote a price for the obvious and then the hidden stuff shows up, you ask for more money to complete the additonal repairs and the customer gets mad that it will cost more than planned. 
I work on many rusted cars installed metal parts (floors, frame rails, patch panels, etc...) and every job ends up costing different. I keep track of my time and even video tape the repair process. Customers are amazed about the amount of time it takes to complete the rust repairs.
If you want detailed info on the rocker replacement, hit the search botton on this forum, & there are several threads on the subject.
You can also view the repairs I completed on rocker replacement on my Javelin at:
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:38am
Here is an example why it s difficult to have a quote ....
I needed to fix some rust on the left rear fender . If I had a nice part , I could spend at max 3 hours to cut / weld / grind and even spray primer . And I m slow ....

But , I found more rust ..... Here I am for now ...

Still easy to have a quote ? :P
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 11:56am
I was not looking for a quote for my particular car per say, and after seeing the 3 very well documented repairs posted so far I can certainly understand better why it is just about impossible to know the final cost until the work is actually started.
So far no one has posted that actually
brought their car to a body/restoration shop and given any costs for the work that was done. This makes me believe that everyone is fixing these panels themselves.

I am very impressed with the level of detail that people that have posted are accomplishing on these repairs. Its encouraging.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 10:30am

brought their car to a body/restoration shop and given any costs for the work that was done. This makes me believe that everyone is fixing these panels themselves.
I doubt anyone will post what they paid a professional for the replacement of inner & outer rocker. But to give an example, the inner & outer rocker panel replacements, front floor pan replacement, some misc cross bracing on the underside of the front floor pans and some repairs of the firewall & both front hinge posts on a 66 Stang amounted to 62 hours of work. Just based on labor dollar per hour to have all this work performed at a professional level;
62 hrs  x  $52/hr    = $3,224.00
That price does not include the price of the parts or any refinish time.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 8:50pm

I was not looking for a quote for my particular car per say, and after seeing the 3 very well documented repairs posted so far I can certainly understand better why it is just about impossible to know the final cost until the work is actually started.

I am very impressed with the level of detail that people that have posted are accomplishing on these repairs. Its encouraging.
                                                                                                                                                                       I have some information on an estimate "cap" from a restoration shop for what I needed done on my car. I am not going to mention the place but they are advertised in Hemming motor news. This is what I needed done,

1. Left front frame rail replaced (I Supplied a used part ready for install)
2. Right front fram rail repaired ( Not too much damage) 
3. Front floor pans replaced (I supplied the pans from ADP)
4. Inner rocker panels replaced/ Center rockers repaired  (Supplied inner rockers from ADP)
5. Radiator support replaced (Supplied R. support from ADP)

READY FOR THIS,,,,
$18,000

Needless to say I had the car towed back to my garage to start on the rocker panel repairs. Thanks to amc forum member "Hassyfoto" we can all learn from his information and pictures on how to do this in your garage. Gives me hope anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic