TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brakes and Bonded Vs Riveted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes and Bonded Vs Riveted
    Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 1:50pm
Just had to redo the rear brakes on a friends Eagle because he bought bonded shoes that separated. And I do mean redo. everything was bent and mangled . I bought riveted this time so it doesn't happen again. And the rear on my 71 Hornet  have a left and right WC to make room for the rear sway bar linkage. And being a Bendix system the local parts shop had everything in stock.    
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 12:40pm
I have found that riveted are usually better quality materials and Ive had bonded break loose.......
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 12:31pm
Uh, no - there's definite left and right rear on Javelin, etc - the lines enter at a slight angle from the back.
Two different numbers.
Same for the Eagle - two different numbers, there's a left rear and a right rear.

It might vary between models, but for the Javelin/AMX series and Eagles they are indeed different.

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2011 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Gremlinamc1975 Gremlinamc1975 wrote:

Aren't Bother Rear Wheel Cylinders the same, not side priority? but the front are correct?

Generally, rears are the same and fronts are different. The reason (in general) fronts are different is because the brake hoses go into them at an angle and the casting is drilled differently on each side.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 11:31pm
Nice pics, Billd!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Gremlinamc1975 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlinamc1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 10:07pm
Aren't Bother Rear Wheel Cylinders the same, not side priority? but the front are correct?

1970 Gremlin 232, 1974 Gremlin, 1977 Gremlin X, 1977 Gremlin X, 1979 Spirit DL,
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 9:31pm

I've have very good luck with new brake parts from rockauto.

I will NOT ever use a rebuilt master cylinder, ever ever. I spent too bloody many years doing hundreds of brake jobs and have too much experience with reman masters. CRAP.

I like riveted brake shoes and pads. Although bonded do transfer heat, I've seen my share of the bonded shoes let loose, and the riveted ones are quieter.  (ever pull a drum and have the lining fall off a riveted shoe? I have on the bonded shoes......... ) Frankly, of all the brakes I've worked on over the past 35+ years, I can't say I've ever been able to tell how one type of shoe stopped better or worse than another - the material and CoF is more important, IMO, as is the fit, and drum surfacing.

I rarely do a complete brake job and leave the original master cylinder in place - very rarely.

I fit shoes to drums, always. Now days it's usually with a mallet (not a mullet), but I've also seen too many new shoe sets hit the drum at the leading and trailing ends and cause issues. The shoes should hit the drum in the middle of the shoe, and the ends not quite touch. That's the non-technical description. There are clearance specs for the arc of a shoe - the shoe fit to drum, but if you get them at least so there's not a gap in the middle, but the ends hit, and instead make the middle hit and the ends have a bit of a gap, you'll be better than most brake jobs done today by dealerships, sears, etc.

Pretty much ignore the TSM on "how many threads" should show. How the heck can they know how much was removed from the drum, the thickness of the new linings etc?? I run them up until they drag, then back them off a bit, drive the car to break in the brakes, then re-adjust. It's a feel you get after your umpteenth brake job as to how tight or loose to do them, but basically, tighten until the drum is difficult to turn, then back off the adjuster so there's no real drag. Backing the car up and pumping the brakes will get them where they want to be. Takes a long straight driveway, and a lot of foot action on the brake pedal. It's the working of the shoes out and in that does the adjusting.
Make sure the backing plate pads are smooth! Sand them, weld them up and file/grind them flat and smooth again if needed. Clean and paint, and lube the pads where the shoes rest against.

NOTE the way the return springs are installed - there is a correct order to them.....

Note shoe type..........

pads on backing plate smooth, painted, then lubed:

Gremlinamc1975 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlinamc1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 8:05pm
I remember why i never got one, wasn't sure if that the 70 would list gremlin, as it isn't stated on the front of the books, or would i just look under hornet?

1970 Gremlin 232, 1974 Gremlin, 1977 Gremlin X, 1977 Gremlin X, 1979 Spirit DL,
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 7:15pm
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2011 at 6:24pm
There are several right now on eBay for $50+.  In the search box, type in "1970 amc manual" without the quotes and you'll see them. You may also want to get one of the Haynes manuals for early '70's cars as well on eBay.  I like lots of reading materials about my vehicle!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic