TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Karmann Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdaddy Sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 9:23am
The wheel spacers will make the steering feel very different. I know from experience with the Hornet X running a similar wheel set up using Mustang Bullet wheels. Takes getting used to. Also watch out for clearance issues on the front turning radius of the rims and tires. Suggestion only: add a little "lock tight" to the wheel studs to keep the "Spacer"mounting lugs from backing off. With all the pressure from the wheel "center" moved out away from the Hub can have a tendency to walk the lugs loose. I solved this issue with "lock tight" on the threads of the lugs. ***CAUTION*** lock tight makes it really had to get the lugs back off though. 

I like where you are going with this build! Really cool project to watch develop. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 11:27am
I've got my wheels spaced out but never noticed a different feel to the steering. Don't have them spaced out but about 3/4" on each side on the front though, about half what you have on the Karmann.  Just to make it clear, put the thread locking compound (Lock-Tite is a name brand in the US -- that's why Scrap put it in quotes) only on the original hub studs, not on the studs that hold the wheel to the spacer. 
Frank Swygert
0069X View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0069X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 2:57pm
Hi Manuel, I've been watching your thread since the beginning and I've got to say your car looks like it's going to come out looking really nice.
I purchased a 69 AMX brand new when I was your age, and I still have it.
There are just a few comments I'd like to make about your project.
The very first modification I made to my AMX was to install some chrome Crager S/S mag wheels, but to do so I had to install a spacer so the spokes in the wheel would clear the brake calipers. I think they were only 3/8" thick (certainly no more than 1/2"). After driving on them for about 5000 miles, the brake pads wound up wearing out totally uneven. I had to remove the spacers, install new brake pads and have the rotors turned. Fortunately I came across a set of 15x7" Chrome Magnum 500's (off a Boss 302 Mustang) that worked out perfectly.
My point is, I would be very cautious about installing spacers that are too thick. I've heard horror stories of ruined ball joints if wheels are spaced out too far. Of course you have trunions, but what kills ball joints, would probably play havoc with a trunion.
I noticed you have a fondness for spoilers, I too installed a Mark D. rear spoiler on my AMX as soon as they became available. Just a small detail, but the roof spoiler and the Mark D. spoiler were not designed to work together. Both accomplish the same function (to prevent high speed lift). I don't think using both would ever cause you any aerodynamic problems while on the Autobahn, I just think one spoiler negates the need for the other one. But if you like the way it looks, then that's all that really matters.
Good Luck with your plans. I love the 70's style side stripe.

Edited by 0069X - Apr/23/2012 at 3:05pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 6:58pm
The biggest problem with spacers is that they change the leverage on the steering components. Most of the people with problems such as worn ball joints and such space the wheels out so the tire stick way out. Remember that fad? When you use a deep offset wheel the spacer doesn't have as much of a negative effect. The center of the wheel is pushed out, the spacer is just moving the center of the wheel back where it should be in this case. Not always, but for using a deep wheel on an older car that's the case.

I've had some uneven wear on brake pads, but wouldn't think the spacer would be the cause. Could be, but everything else on my front end is solid with no unusual wear and I've put about 50K miles on it with the wheels spaced out about 3/4" (5/8" spacer behind spindles, 1/8" spacer between wheel and hub). Bendix sliding calipers can easily wear unevenly, it's just the nature of the beast! Pin type Kelsey-Hayes or GM calipers fare a bit better.

Edited by farna - Apr/23/2012 at 7:01pm
Frank Swygert
OzJavelin2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 1:14am
Interesting that they bothered to convert the speedos to KM/H?  In Australia AMI (Australian Motor Industries) assembled CKD kits for Javelins into right-hand-drive .. but didn't bother with things like converting the wipers to sweep in the other direction, putting the auto sector markings on the "other" side, etc, etc.  The KM/H must have been a real compliance issue?
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 4:49pm

I don't see great problems in having the spacer installed. I'm sure you're right about everything, but for the amount of miles I'm going to drive in it I think it's not that bad.
I'm going to use it to cruise on sundays and going to local meetings. Not for driving 120 mp/h on the German Autobahn. ;) Well, maybe a single time for getting an idea of how fast it really goes, haha..

And the spoilers are just for the looks, not for aerodynamics. I just like the way it looks. :)

Edit: Oh, and I don't think the Loc-Tite is such a good idea. The APK (M.O.T. in the US) doesn't accept wheelspacers. So I have to disassamble the spacers every year.

Edited by Manuel - Jul/08/2012 at 4:56pm
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 9:13pm
Really loving the car Manuel. Good luck and thanks for educating me on the karmann javelin. I had no idea such an animal ever existed. Very cool!
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 5:01pm
Thank you!

Update:
We cleaned the garage today, so I took some random photo's:

You can clearly see that it needs a lowering kit. Any idea where I can get such a kit? And do you have some pictures of Javelins with a lowering kit so I can get an idea?

And here's a photo of "stance". Left side is with the spacers installed:

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 5:20pm
You need to wait until you get it together before you start lowering. You're going to add a little weight all around, though not much. Has it been raised? I don't know how long the stock shackles should be, but someone here will know. Measure from center of bolt to center of bolt though.  It's easy to lower the rear with spacers between the spring and axle. The front will be a little harder. I still think it's wise to get everything together before you determine how much to lower it though. 
Frank Swygert
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 7:56pm
Yeah, lowering the car is one of the last things I'll do, but I am just asking in advance. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic