TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Karmann Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 9:19am
The main reason Karman stopped producing (well, assembling) the Javelin (and importing a few other AMCs IIRC) was due to a change in licensing and taxing laws in Germany/across Europe. Large engines (and even the 290 at around 5.0L was considered "large" in Europe) were heavily taxed, so interest dropped. Even the 3.8L (232) six would have had a premium tax on it (after 1970 at least), and wouldn't have been much of a performer in the Javelin. It would have been more than adequate though, especially with a stick. The 343 was heavily taxed after 1970. I don't think the 290 would keep up with the high performance German cars even though they had smaller engines (Mercedes had the 4.5L OHC V-8, not sure what others were running).  I bet of the 281 made most were 343 powered, but that's just a guess.

Edited by farna - Jul/13/2011 at 9:22am
Frank Swygert
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 1:27am
Do the 69 Karman models have upper ball joints?
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 10:13am
Nope. Same as other 69 AMCs. Was there a few 70 Karman Javelins? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they were 69 models assembled and titled as 70s, and have trunnions also. 
Frank Swygert
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2011 at 11:59am
Our Javelin is officially registered as a 1970, but it is a 1969 model.
Ours doesn't have upper ball joints.

Edited by Manuel - Jul/15/2011 at 12:05pm
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2011 at 9:59am
The radiator came in yesterday, so today we were sanding the vent cover. 
We are thinking of buying a blast cabinet, because there are still a whole lot of parts that need to be rust free.

The new radiator:

The vent cover:

Not the best photo's ever, but you know what I mean Wink
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 11:11pm
Do you know of any one with extra emblems.
Even damaged ones I can restore.  a picture of the emblems and sill plates would be nice.
The  Car I am looking at buying does not have the emblems anymore.
If I understand it correctly, their was an emblem mounted below the  Javelin emblem on the rear sail panel,  and the cars had  special sill plates.
The other differences were the wiring and battery tray run down the right side of the engine compartment on the 6 cylinder car.
Also the car was equipped with a 258 2bbl engine in place of the 232 which the US Javelins came with.
Should have clear front marker lenses as well.
Do you know of any other differences.

Thanks

Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Teamamc Teamamc wrote:

Do you know of any one with extra emblems.
Even damaged ones I can restore.  a picture of the emblems and sill plates would be nice.
The  Car I am looking at buying does not have the emblems anymore.
If I understand it correctly, their was an emblem mounted below the  Javelin emblem on the rear sail panel,  and the cars had  special sill plates.
The other differences were the wiring and battery tray run down the right side of the engine compartment on the 6 cylinder car.
Also the car was equipped with a 258 2bbl engine in place of the 232 which the US Javelins came with.
Should have clear front marker lenses as well.
Do you know of any other differences.

Thanks

Hey,

Sorry for the late response.

It's good to see another Karmann Javelin is being restored. There are not many of 'em left.
I know a Dutch guy who may have some emblems, but I'm not sure.
Our Karmann still has all the emblems as far as I know. And it has orange front marker lenses.
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 2:19am
A few days ago, I made a quick Photoshop of how the car should be when it's finished.

Our goal is to make a Pro Touring / G-Machine kind of Javelin.
We don't have the money to add Twin Turbo's, transmission and engine conversions, etc.
Basically it only has the looks of a Pro Touring muscle car. All the engine and transmission parts will mostly be staying original.

What do you think? :)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 5:10am
Looks good!
Frank Swygert
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 8:49am
hi yes I like it alot , same paint color too
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic