TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Karmann Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '69 Karmann Javelin
    Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 6:13am
The "Engine Day Build Code" decodes as follows:

First digit is year.
Year codes start with 1-9 for 1959-67, then repeat with 1-9 for 68-76 and 1-3 for 77-79.
In 1980 the code changed to be the last digit of the year and added using zeros, so a 1980 built engine has a zero, 81 a 1, etc.

Digits 2 and 3 are the month. 01 for January - 12 for December

Character 4 is the engine code. Codes changed some over the years, but H is a 290/2V from 66-69 (304 2V from 70-79). You have to know what sizes were made what years to properly decode this.

Digits 5 and 6 are the day the engine was assembled, 01 for first - 31 for 31st.

Note that the engine plant worked on a CALENDAR year basis, not model year! So an early production 69 will have a 68 coded engine. If the Engine Day Build Code is later than the model year or after August 31 of the model year it has been changed (new models generally started production in early September with August being mostly a transition time).
Frank Swygert
Marca View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2021 at 2:36pm
Hello !
Mine was first registered on 09/23/1969 and the number on the valve cover is 110H26.
It's a V8 290.
What do you think the H means?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2021 at 6:38am
Look at the major differences in the cars marked TK and MK. Mainly look for engine type/size and transmission type. Difference could be year of manufacture -- MK being 1970, TK 1969. That's just a guess from the two examples shown though, could be manual/auto trans or different size engines.

AMC made CKD kits for Australia and others also. Of course the Aussie kits were RHD. It didn't take much to assemble the kits since they were already doing them for others. The Karmann operation stopped due to European tax law changes that heavily taxed larger engines. Even the 3.8L 232 fell into a high tax rate, and those who wanted an American pony car really wanted a V-8. Not enough Europeans wanting those that were willing to pay the high taxes to continue in-continent production. Note that the CKD kits didn't come with things like tires, belts, batteries, and even upholstery -- those were sourced locally.
Frank Swygert
Tobias View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2021 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Marca Marca wrote:

Do you know what the VIN number is for the Karmann ?
Mine is MK20332?

Hi Marca!

Last weekend I aquired Tim's 79-K (see page 1 of this thread). The car has serial number MK20180 and was first registered on 1970-06-19. (Edit: The valve cover tag on the original 290-2V "H" code engine reads 109H18 which decodes to a production date of 1968-09-18.) As the serial number of your car is higher I would assume it was built later than mine. Do you know when it was registered first?

I also have a copy of the registration document for the 79-K with serial number TK-20221 (Karmann changed the letters at some point) and engine number Z 0026. That car was registered first on 1969-05-05. (Edit: The valve cover tag on the engine reads 110Z26 which decodes to a production date of 1968-10-26.)
And I have a photo of the VIN plate of TK-20351 (engine number Z 0087); registration date unknown. This car was scraped for parts.

If we were able to get more data points maybe we can derive a (very) rough chronology of the production at Karmann.
Judging from the low production numbers, I guess the cars did not sell very well in the old world back in the day. I cannot imagine AMC expected to send only 281 CKD kits to Europe. Seems like a lot of effort.

Tobias

Edited by Tobias - Nov/09/2021 at 2:50pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2021 at 10:39am
Karmann assigned their own VIN numbers (more accurately serial numbers). I have no information on how they were assigned.
Frank Swygert
Marca View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2021 at 5:38am
Do you know what the VIN number is for the Karmann ?
Mine is MK20332?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2021 at 9:17pm
There isn't much to tell. They were built in 68 and 69 by Karmann from parts imported from the US. Some parts ere sourced locally, like tires and such, maybe interior upholstery. Only a few options were allowed. European taxation laws changed in 69 or 70, making them hard sells due mainly to engine size.
Frank Swygert
Marca View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2021 at 1:43am
Ok, now I'll translate my texts into English!
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 9:01pm
Hello everyone, my name is Sylvain and I live in France.
I came across your discussion because I have been restoring a 69 Javelin Karmann for 1 year.
I am also looking for information on this car because it is difficult to find

Welcome to the forum Sylvain, and congratulations on your Karmann Javelin. Unfortunately, you will find this community very lacking in French comprehension. There are a few though. If you are able to converse in English, you will get more help.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Marca View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 5:08pm
Bonjour à tous, je m'appelle Sylvain et j'habite en France. 
Je suis tombé sur votre discussion car je restaure depuis 1 an une Javelin Karmann de 69.
Je suis également à la recherche d'informations sur cette voiture car c'est difficile à trouver...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic