TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

proper tools for amx rear hub and axle removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: proper tools for amx rear hub and axle removal
    Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 3:18pm
I discovered a small outer axle leak on the backing plate so I am going to pull everything apart back there and replace inner and outer oil seals and replace wheel bearings at the same time.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the types of pullers(s) to use?  One for the hub and the other for the axle.  I see the spiffy ones in the tsm but I obviously don't have those but have access to some others.  Any personal experience out there?  thanks, turbo
they call me Capt RETIRED!
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 3:55pm
I have one of the heavy duty hub pullers. I had a leaky rear and I pulled the hub and replaced only the outer seal two years ago with no leaks since. I did not remove the axle.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 5:08pm
otc makes a hub puller I just bought one #7394 , you hit it with a hammer , cost average price 140-170 dollars wise investment for any amc owner . that way you can remove the hub  from the axle I tried using a press it wouldnt work  the other tool you need is a slide hammer for removing the bearing race in the axle and a good hammer and a flat punch for knocking the bearing off the axle annd for reinstalling the race a brass punch , a good method for installing the bearing is boil some oil on a camp style stove and install hot slides on like butter TwoCents
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 5:10pm
Strongly suggest removing the axle with the backingplate as one piece and having a machine shop press the hub off the axle. Axle pullers tend to bend the hub flange.

-Steve-

JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 5:42pm
well I just did mine with the hub puller , I got the idea from a jeep website and they use the same diff , I tried pressing them out with our press at work , I got one but it was messy
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Strongly suggest removing the axle with the backingplate as one piece and having a machine shop press the hub off the axle. Axle pullers tend to bend the hub flange.

-Steve-

The proper ones don't if used properly.............

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 6:46pm
wow, lots of good info here...the hub bending is definitely a concern see as replacement hubs are difficult to find and I hate breaking stuff if I can avoid it.....I wouldn't even try it unless I had the perfect tool..one that pulls on all 5 lugs and even then I wouldn't push it too hard...snap-on tool from a previous thread has only 3 fingers for pulling and I don't think I like that...further thoughts?   regards, all
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 6:49pm

-Steve-

I f I go this route do I need any puller at all to remove the whole shebang as one unit?  How much pulling force required?  thanks
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 8:00pm
Ive never had to use a slide puller for the axel.  This aint no GM C-Clip junk.  The axel is retained by the axel retainer plate and usually just comes right out.  The jeeps use a different flange and the Diff has very little to do with pulling the axel.  OTC tools are marginal at best and the tool usually gets fragged by the second pull.  You are correct in assuming only a five hole puller will work.  You can remove the whole assymbly in minutes but dont forget to take the nut off before you do.  You will not be able to hold it to get it loose later.  Follow the TSM EXACTLY.  There is an earlier thread called "Whirring sound" that demonstrates what happens when an expert shop doesnt follow the instructions on correct hub installation.  I have done at least a hundred and never a problem because I follow the TSM specs on thread protrusion and nut torque.  You may have a hard time finding a machine shop that knows how to do it or has the rite tools for their press.  Most older axel shops would have the stuff but you need to check their work after you get it back  Tight just don't do it.  Use a machinists ruler and check the thread protrusion or show the TSM to the shop and insist they follow it.  Again, see "Whirring sound"  In transmission and drive train.

Edited by 69 ambassador 390 - Mar/21/2011 at 8:02pm
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

-Steve-

The proper ones don't if used properly.............   Build, Does anyone make one like that anymore?  I had one that looked like that but with a hydraulic cylinder on the end instead of a wedge.  Pulled hubs like butter and was powered by a porta power pump.  It was stolen years ago.

Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic