TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 Twin Grip Rebuild Video's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 Twin Grip Rebuild Video's
    Posted: Mar/20/2011 at 8:55pm
Thanks to Roger...aka...forum member 1970390amx; I now have a complete AMC 20 twin grip rear end with a 3:54 gear set ready to install in Project Gremlin X. I walked into his shop this morning with a couple of camera's & no knowledge. I walked out with a wealth of information & his permission to share what I learned today. I've put together a DVD for those who are interested in learning how to set up an AMC 20 rear differential. It's one hour long, has chapter markers, and covers the following topics... 

-Teardown & inspection
-Pulling the hubs
-Pinion Bearing Race R&R
-Roger had a 3:54 ring & pinion set waiting for me without the pinion bearing so he pressed on the new bearing & mocked up the pinion gear for a wear pattern
-Carrier Bearings R&R and Ring Gear Removal
-Shimming the Carrier
-Using a dial indicator to confirm that the carrier spins true before mounting the new ring gear to the carrier
-Shimming for Proper Gear Backlash
-Checking for the Proper Pinion/Ring Wear Pattern
-Installing Pinion Spacer (replacing the crush sleeve with solid spacer & shims)
-Checking Pinion Rotational Torque
-Final Setup
-Axle & Seal Installation
-End Play Shims & Hub Installation

If anyone is interested in purchasing one the cost is $10.00 + shipping and 50% of the proceeds will be donated to this forum. You can order one by sending me a PM.

Dean

Edited by rogue_66 - Apr/15/2011 at 11:25pm
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 12:21am
All the videos are now up on my gallery page with a link to each one in streaming Quicktime. This is kind of an experiment in sharing information so feedback is encouraged...

Dean
will333 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 8:03am
I enjoyed watching this series showing the re-build. It's not something I could do myself, I wish I could because the rear in my car is going to have to be re-built due to some whine, but it's good to see how it's done and what's involved. Two questions...knowing the inherent weakness of the AMC 20 with the two-piece axles, why not install one-piece axles at this point and is the soundtrack to this video series available in the lobby? Smile Some good tunes there.
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2011 at 12:52am
Originally posted by will333 will333 wrote:

I enjoyed watching this series showing the re-build. It's not something I could do myself, I wish I could because the rear in my car is going to have to be re-built due to some whine, but it's good to see how it's done and what's involved. Two questions...knowing the inherent weakness of the AMC 20 with the two-piece axles, why not install one-piece axles at this point and is the soundtrack to this video series available in the lobby? Smile Some good tunes there.

Glad you enjoyed the series & the answer to your first question is that (IMO) the stock axles will hold up for my application given the car loaded, will be under 3000 lbs & running non sticky street tires (for now). In the event I decide to run some drag radials some day & take to the track on a regular basis; the one currently in the Gremlin would be a good donor & I think I know someone who could weld up the tubes & install the one piece axles. Wink Maybe a project for another time, but for now I'm trying to stretch my dollars for some other goodies on the car. 

The video series along with the soundtrack (lobby) is available on a DVD I put together last week to free up some space on my gallery page. I have edited my original post & updated it with details.

Dean

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 9:16am

I just wanted to let anyone that has thought about rebuilding an AMC 20 know that this is a great video, well worth the $10 + shipping. I have always had the tools and the willingness to set up  rearend but I have always been reluctant to do one because of the uncertainty about how all of the measurements were done. This video (about 1 hour long) covers all details of tearing down, taking pinion, carrier and axle measurements and rebuilding an AMC model 20 rearend. My advice if you want to try this is to buy the video and see how it's done.

Edited by 71SC360 - Apr/21/2011 at 9:18am
gremlin 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 4:54pm
Hello Dean, Happy New Year. I just saw your info and would like to purchase a copy of your DVD. Please send me info and I will paypal you if that is O.K. Mike Baldwin
72 jolly green gremlin X
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 5:51pm
Thanks, Dean, for taking the trouble to do this for us AMC members.....there will be many grateful people in the long run!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
68amx1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 8:28pm
I'm interested in a dvd. Let me know how to pay
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 9:29am
I'd like one of these videos also. Send your mailing address and I'll send the funds. ANTI-PayPal!!!
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by 68amx1 68amx1 wrote:

I'm interested in a dvd. Let me know how to pay

Anyone interested in a copy can send a $10.00 donation to the forum then send me a PM with shipping info & I'll get one in the mail. I currently have 4 copies left but should be able to burn some more if needed.

Thanks,
Dean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic