TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head Gaskets and sealer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROGUE66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 4:24pm
and what kind of sealer??????
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 4:59pm
this is new to me... i never used sealer on a head gasket, but i have used sealer on the head bolts only if they go through  water jacket such as a Chevy block. 
want to go fast... get an AMC!
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 4:59pm
It was a tan goo, but now that I think about it maybe it was used only on the intake manifold gasket.  It was applied with a pair of rollers like a wringer on an old washing machine.

I remember that I went to high school with the guy that worked at that station.

And that he put shaving creme in the coolant holes to prevent any foreign material from falling out into the engine.

Upon further review, at that station, the operator installed the cylinder heads and intake manifold gasket after running it through the rollers to apply the sealer.  The intake manifold gasket went through twice, just the ports were coated.

Edited by Peter Marano - Mar/06/2011 at 5:00pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

And that he put shaving creme in the coolant holes

Any one brand favored over another?
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 6:33pm

I have taken apart dozens of virgin engines and there was very little sealant used anywhere. 

When assembling I no longer use the #$%#$^ rubber end gaskets on the intake and use a bead of Super RTV instead.  The trick is to install just enough so it compresses but not enough so that a blob will fall into the valley and clog something up. When the engines were brand new I am sure the rubber intake end gasket worked great on new metal but I have had vacuum leaks arise after the block has been decked and the heads have been planed so the fitment of those pesky rubber end gaskets no longer works on the intake due to the differences fitment resulting from rebuilding the engine.

Edited by amx39068 - Mar/06/2011 at 6:34pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 6:49pm
his yes that is true when you machine the heads deck the block  you also need to do the intake ends or ditch the rubber seals and use some rtv silicone I use permatex called the right stuff its black and very sticky holds up well to oils
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 6:53pm
the only time I have used sealer on a head was on a flt head six in an old pontiac it had a stubborn antifreeze leak and the only gasket you could get was a steel shim gasket , I used permatex brush on aircraft sealant its like a blackish brown gooky sealant let it dry for a week before adding coolant 10 years later still running and no leaks
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 7:43pm
What does the paper that came with the head gaskets say to use? IIRC when I did my junk 360 drag motor the Fel-pro gaskets said to use copper coat on the metal side(s). No sealer on head bolts.
I also followed the paper that came with the pan gasket. Drag motor no rubber end gaskets but the 360 street motor I did use them.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
70AMX401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 7:53pm
There was nothing in the box for instruction from fel pro.  This was a whole engine gasket set.

I went ahead and sprayed both side of heads gaskets with permatex copper.   I guess we'll see what happens.  Like I said this is a first for me, usually  I just clean surfaces good and use head gaskets dry.
70 AMX 401/727

66 Rambler Classic 770
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

The factory coated head gaskets with sealer, both sides.  
Incorrect on 390 and at least early 401.  These engines came factory with composite gaskets and they MUST be installed dry.  Steel shim gaskets on smaller engines used spray sealer.  No silicone ever!!!  If you are using a new Felpro blue stripe gasket they come pre coated with a teflon non stick.  You can ruin them with any coating and they should be installed dry.  The spray coating will not stick the the Teflon and will roll up and tear as the head moves along the block during expansion.  There is a small slip of paper in the box that states this.  Only solid metal gaskets get sealer.  I heard this sealer wives tale many years ago and followed it.  I had some gasket failures.  I now follow the manufacterers recomendations and never have issues.  Follow the instructions as to use,installation and very importantly surface finish. 

Edited by 69 ambassador 390 - Mar/06/2011 at 11:18pm
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic