TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head Gaskets and sealer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Gaskets and sealer
    Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 4:08pm

I'm about to put my heads back on.  I'm cleaning up the block and head surfaces with lacquer thinner.  I'm noticing black silicone around the coolant ports on the block.  I've only done a couple of engines in the past and they were SBC.  We never used sealant with head gaskets.  It looks like the previous builder did on this?  Is this common?  If so what would you use, this looks like plain old permatex #2.       Sucks thought I'd have it buttoned up today until I noticed this and it threw me for a loop.

Engine is 11.2:1 401, iron heads, felpro Permatorques. 
70 AMX 401/727

66 Rambler Classic 770
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 5:15pm

Clean surfaces thoroughly amd use the gaskets only with proper torque sequence.

SKeown
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 6:50pm
A AMC engine is not a SBC so, don't even compare them. I use a spray copper coat (KW COPPER COAT GASKET COMPOUND)on both sides of the head gasket and I do not use any silicone anywhere. Torque the head bolts in the sequence that the TSM tells you. Wait over night and check the torque the next day. I have never had a problem with this method.

Now, if you are talking about installing the intake manifold I use a little different procedure.
70AMX401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 8:45pm
Would you consider the spray on copper that permatex has as an equivalent?  I know I can pick that up tomorrow morning.   I know if sounded like a dumb question but when I seen the black silicone around those water ports it threw me off.
70 AMX 401/727

66 Rambler Classic 770
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 9:46pm
Yes I think that the copper Permatex is the same type of stuff.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 9:58pm
X2 on the spray or brush sealer on the steel side minimum...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
jayson738 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayson738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 2:30pm
I haven't built as many engines as most but my rule of thrumb is clean heads and block and install the gaskets with no chemicals.  They don't at the factory so why start now. 
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 2:37pm
yes just clean surfaces thats all I have ever done and no leaks , the only place I use a little silicone is the corners of the oil pan gasket where it meets the rubber seals , then intake manifold corners where it meets the head and block , thats why you have gaskets !!!!!!!!!TwoCents
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by JavelinRob JavelinRob wrote:

yes just clean surfaces thats all I have ever done and no leaks , the only place I use a little silicone is the corners of the oil pan gasket where it meets the rubber seals , then intake manifold corners where it meets the head and block , thats why you have gaskets !!!!!!!!!TwoCents

That's exactly correct. unless you're using metal shim gaskets on a rough machined surface, ther's absolutely no need for copper coat. I recommend ROL gaskets in the first place, you can use less bolt torque which creates less bore distortion.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Mar/06/2011 at 2:44pm
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 4:04pm
The factory coated head gaskets with sealer, both sides.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic