TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

291c Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 5:30pm
ConfusedWhy are you pulling the engine just to change heads?
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 5:39pm
Sold the old car as a roller & using the drivetrain in another one Smile
GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 12:28am
I picked up the heads last Tuesday. After an email to the webmaster I was rewarded very quickly with picture posting privileges so here goes... This is what they look like ready for some AMC paint. Thumbs Up 
My machinist replaced the valve springs with new ones to match the cam in addition to the stainless steel valves, hardened seats, new seals, & new keepers...the price for a glob of clay is sounding pretty good right now; so thanks to all of you... I'll be checking clearances long before turning the ignition key for the first time! Approve

GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 2:51am
Managed to get a couple coats of paint on one of the heads tonight.
Hopefully can finish the other one soon..

Edited by GREM - Apr/27/2011 at 10:41pm
GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 12:05am
Finished painting the other head a few days ago. My choice of headers is Hedman and a friend informed me that the header flanges will need to be ground a bit to clear the short head bolts. The cost for having the headers "Jet Hot" ceramic coated inside & out isn't cheap; so a mockup of some sort makes sense before sending them out for coating.

The donor engine block won't be available for a while, so I called a neighbor last night & asked him if he'd like to come over for some "bench racing" Cheers!

We first bolted up the heads to my workbench so the overhang allowed the short ARP bolts with chamfered washers to rest in position. The flanges wouldn't line up to the header bolt holes properly so we took them out & mocked up a few washers & a nut for measurement

Here's a pic of how much needs to be ground using the mocked up washers & the nut.
Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have some more pics with the ARP bolts in place & the headers mocked up in place...Smile

Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 12:17pm
Just don't get them coated until after initial break-in is done or use a different set for break-in.  The typical 20-30 minutes of break-in running will cook the coating.  All the header manufacturers as well as the coating shops will void the warranty on the coating if the headers are used at break-in.  Just an FYI.  Looking good on the heads!
GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Traveller Traveller wrote:

Just don't get them coated until after initial break-in is done or use a different set for break-in.  The typical 20-30 minutes of break-in running will cook the coating.  All the header manufacturers as well as the coating shops will void the warranty on the coating if the headers are used at break-in.  Just an FYI.  Looking good on the heads!

That's why I ordered my headers thru Jet HotThumbs Up. Lifetime guarantee no questions asked as long as I own the car. A bit more expensive but well worth it because they'll stand behind initial break in. Jet Hot...800-432-3379. Talk to Dan.

I got the flanges ground down to fit the ARP bolts mocked up.

It's tight but better than it was...

We've strayed a bit from my original post so I'd like to revisit with a direct question about which adjustable rocker studs should I use with the Scorpion roller rockers & do I need to use guides?
It's my understanding that the longer small block Ford are the one's? I know they are the 3/8" studs but I'm not sure about the length needed. Thanks...

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 8:57am
Originally posted by GREM GREM wrote:

We've strayed a bit from my original post so I'd like to revisit with a direct question about which adjustable rocker studs should I use with the Scorpion roller rockers & do I need to use guides?
It's my understanding that the longer small block Ford are the one's? I know they are the 3/8" studs but I'm not sure about the length needed. Thanks...

You only need pushrod guideplates on the wider and more oval shaped pushrod holes from the later heads unless there is excess wear on your exisiting heads guideholes which is extremely and not even remotely evident in your head pictures.  I just use SBC studs that are the stock 7/16ths in the head and 3/8ths on the shaft.  Your setup has nothing dramatic on it other than the Scorpians so even stock replacement studs SBC studs should do the trick.  Only caution is that I am not familiar with how tall the body of Scorpian rollers are so you want want to try one before you put all of them in.  The SBC studs fit under stock valve covers which is why I like them.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 9:11am
I've installed Scorpion rollers and they look virtually identical to the small Ford versions.  We just happened to be building a 306 at the same time I was putting together a 401 and had two sets of rockers to compare.  The're awfully close if not the same.

If you stick to stock pushrod diameter then your heads should guide your pushrods. 
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 9:22am
I have ford motorsports 1.6 small block adj. rockers on my 401 with ARP chevy studs with 8.1 length Mallory hardened pushrods on 993 heads with stock valve covers. I also checked the pushrod length to make sure the rockers are centered on the valve tops which you should too as you have spent as much as I have on stock heads so you don't want to cause any excessive guide wear. It seems there were several lengths on the studs that you should be concerned with. Am I wrong here guys. Don't remember and I only had to buy one set so not enough repetition to make the stupid smarter.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic