TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

291c Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by GREM GREM wrote:

An unmolested r4b in the crawl space? Start crawling! The answer is yes...shoot me a PM...please...
What's the best way to modify this without guesswork?

As long as you will be at the club meeting wednesday I will just bring it and we can talk. Did you talk to Paul about your heads?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

You could mill the intake side of the heads if you are getting them done any way.
You need a special index mill to mill it as you cannot do a straight flat surface mill job due to the raised area for the valve cover lip.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 1:42pm

amx39068...I'm interested in those step dowels if you could PM me with contact information. Also how much needs to be milled off the later airgap for a good fit?

Thanks
Keith Coggins, aka amc67rogue here on the forum, is the guy who makes them and they are much better than the ones Mopar used to sell.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

You could mill the intake side of the heads if you are getting them done any way.
You need a special index mill to mill it as you cannot do a straight flat surface mill job due to the raised area for the valve cover lip.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2011 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

No. Actually you just have to know how to run a standard mill with a fly cutter and be able to hold tolerance so you don't smash the cutter into the ridge.  Nothing special.  Easy job on any Bridgeport with a sine plate.  Did mine on a 24 foot bed surface grinder made in 1952.  Accurate to 1/100,000 of an inch.  When I am back in Detroit we do blocks on the thing too.  We index the pan rails to the main bores and then index off the pan rails todo the decks.  Thats how I angle milled my heads and kept the intake side stock.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2011 at 9:46pm
Thanks for all the options.

69 ambassador 390...The machinist at the plant I work at knew exactly what you were saying & referred me to a shop who could do it. I would have pulled the trigger but decided to leave the r4b in good hands & go with a Performer intake. I found one complete with a 600 Edelbrock carb & linkage (70 & up non EGR). I dropped the heads off today & as soon as they are done I'll try to post some pics. After absorbing all this; in my case I think it wise to mount them to the engine first then have the used manifold milled to fit as needed...Great information...Thanks!

In the meantime can someone tell me how the QUOTE thing works?

Confused

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2011 at 10:08pm

!

Confused

Just click on the litle word Quote up on the right corner of the post you want to quote. 

If you only want to quote part of the post then just delete what you don't want in the quote with the backspace or delete keys on your keyboard like I did with your post.
GREM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 10:23pm

Confused

It only took me a few weeks but I think I got the quote thing figured out.

For my next question...I'd like to add a set of roller rockers to these heads. I've got my eye on a set of Scorpion's from Summit. It's my understanding they can be installed with the addition of adjustable studs. I spent a great deal of time today with a good friend of mine who tried his best to explain to me the rocker ratio relationship. He found a popsickle stick & a marble on the workbench & showed me what happens when you move the stick off center & raise or lower the short end. I think I understand that relationship better now. If the stud is raised the roller rolls forward on the valve stem & if it is lowered it rolls backward on the stem. The ratio affects how far the valve travels into the cylinder?

So my question is this...what pushrods do I use? 

Thanks in advance
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2011 at 11:21pm
Mock an intake and exhaust rocker up with special light checking springs and adjustable push rod.  Summit has these cheap.  you will then know your length.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2011 at 4:07pm
As I recall I used at one time or the other 351 Ford Windsor push rods and small block Chevy plus  0.125 of an inch , but you need to check your setup. There is a 1970 only push rod length which basically what your setting the engine up as a 1970 AMC V-8.
 You'll want to get some tall adjustable rocker arm studs . As I recall I used Big Block Chevy/Ford & Oldsmobile type when I did this.
If your using a 70 and up type manifold with the 291C heads , they should ball park match up with the heads the deck height was only raised 0.45 of an inch for the 70 and up blocks and that is with in range of feeler gauge fudge factor. I used this setup with out ever machining a manifold at all. But you do need to check it, depending on what you have for your setup. I did have to futz with mine , I will admit. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic