TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sed0007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 12:29pm
I worked for an AMC/Jeep dealership from '86 through '88.

They were clearing out the Concordes and the 4x4 Hornet-based wagons and bringing in the Renault stuff ( Medallions; Alliances; Encores; and Premiers) under the 'Eagle' brand name.

I witnessed the acquisition by Chrysler; the demise of the old 258 c.i. sixes and the GM 2.8 V-6's; the sad passing of the Wagoneers and the 'J' body Gladiator pickups; and the introduction of the 4.0 'over-square' in-line sixes into the Cherokees and the 'Y'-series of Jeeps.

Drove and sold a lot of CJ-5's; 7's; Wagoneers; etc.

A neat thing about the Renault-based Premiers (and the sister Dodge Monaco) beyond their comfort; economy and handling, was that, dimensionally, they were almost exactly identical (except for height) with the '64 Classic. 

I sold and delivered this dealership's last j-body Wagoneer (they were all leather-interiored 'Limited's then).

I moved on when the Renaults went away and the Talons (Mitsubishi Eclipses)came in

I loved my personally owned Eagle Medallion while I had it. 
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2013 at 10:22pm
I am new to this forum. All my working life was spent Michigan. I worked at Lincoln Park Rambler from 1966, at 22 years old, to 1968 as a line mechanic. Moved to Campus AMC in Ypsilanti in 1968 as service manager through 1971. Moved to Fiesta Motors in Plymouth in 1971 as parts manager. This was an AMC/Jeep dealer. Very small operation. Moved to Village AMC/Jeep in Birmingham in 1973. They just got the Jeep franchise and the parts manager wanted nothing to do with Jeep. I was Parts manager through 1988. For several years I was also warranty administrator. Either I or one of my assistants wrote the warranty orders. It was out of the service department jurisdiction. The dealership owner said that service department people cannot handle paperwork properly but the parts department can. Moved to Winners Dodge in Woodhaven 1988. It was a new dealership. I was hired before the building was done. Biggest mistake of my life going to that dealership. 1991 I went to a contract company to work within Ford Motor Co. in Dearborn (I was born and raised in Dearborn). I controlled a fleet of new vehicles for diagnostic testing. My department developed the diagnostic hardware and software for dealership vehicle diagnostics. I "bought" new vehicles for testing and returned older unneeded vehicles. Right now, June 2013, I would have all 2014 vehicles and some 2015 vehicles. It was a long way from AMC dealership life. I retired in 2006.
When Chrysler was bought by AMC (that's how I saw it) I was invited to a Chrysler meeting to figure out how to include AMC part numbers in the Chrysler system. While at the meeting I saw a picture on a wall that was a chart of the history of AMC from the Gormully & Jeffrey Bicycle Co. 1879, Chrysler from Columbia Bicycle 1877 and Willys Overland from 1903. I still have that chart as well as other AMC memorbilia. All very dear to me. 

Dan Ostwick
HCAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 1:38pm
I went to work for my unkle who owmed a dealership in West Mifflin,Pa I worked there after graduation from high school until I joined the Navy two and a half years later. The name of the dealership was H.F. CLARK MOTORS The time frame was June 1963 to December 1965. I was training to be a mechanic.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 11:34pm
No but did support many of their employees with all the over the counter parts purchased over the years!
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Green Martian View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 10:15am
Green's Rambler
Frostburg, MD
1960 to 196?
Green Martian View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 10:28am
Green's Rambler was my fathers dealership in Frostburg, MD. I only swept floors there as I was too young to do much else. Later, I owned a 1972 Javelin/AMX and had it serviced at PenMar Motors in Cumberland, MD.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2014 at 6:07pm
My grandfather and father owned one. I worked there first on Saturdays washing the car line up (1975?) then in the Gas station until they sold it in 1980, which had me doing inventory. Then worked at the new dealership doing PDI and Jeep tops and snowplow installs until 1982.

Carignan Brothers AMC/Jeep
300 union Ave
Laconia NH

When sold,

Fitz AMC/Jeep
Rte 3
Belmont NH
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2014 at 11:35am
Late 1970 I worked in the parts dept at Hawthorne AMC/Jeep.  I got fired for sliding a barrel of oil to the front of the truck using tooooooooo much brakes.  I about totaled the chevy pickup!!! 
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
ALWNDUP View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALWNDUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2014 at 11:23am
I worked at Spartan Jeep/Eagle in Murray, UT (Salt Lake City) for a couple of years starting 1991. I remember that we were knee deep in Alliance heater core recalls at the time.
Peter D View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 10:50am

Dad (SMOKEY) began in the 1940's selling and fixing used cars and during that time he had a gas station repair shop. 1950's opened his used car lot and dabbled in other business as well. I always was a wrench from about 6-7 years old, changed my first spark plugs  at 9 on a straight eight Buick, modified bicycles, fixed lawn mowers and etc. all before 12 at age 15 tore down my first v8 for a valve job, 16 had my first car and was drag racing and building cars thereafter. officially stopped racing at 24.

1962 we opened our AMC dealership Nap Rambler and thereafter known as Nap AMC Jeep , Webster, NY  Suburb of Rochester, NY. I started as a line mechanic then parts assistant, body shop and a sales person, greasy hands and all. It was no cake walk in those days selling Ramblers to the public that only recognized the competition. Dad over time lost interest and was going to sell so I objected and he agreed to let me take over at about 24-25.  The dealership had potential and was a new facility so I proceeded to make changes and within a couple years was one of the top ten dealers in the US. We were on the advisory group and met with Romney and Abernethy. About 1979 my younger bro took over added Ford to our lineup, NAP FORD and stayed with Amc till Chrysler came and closed out the AMC Franchise. I have 4 AMX's 68-69 one is a done,r Bro has 70 AMX.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic