TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rod Knock on startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnypwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:03pm
we had a grand cherokee with a 318 that rattled pretty good upon start up, had an oil pan leak so when I dropped thepan I ponied up the dough for a new pump...and voila knock went away that was 5 yrs ago and its still going strong...had 180k onit when I changed the pump.  I know its a different design just my 2c
70 amx 360 survivor

74 gremlin 390
69 amx 390 project

68 sport satellite vert 440

03 mach 1 4.6 4v with a snail

65 mustang notch 347
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 1:13pm
Run thicker oil and see what is does
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

The next plan is to change the threaded adapter to be able to fun a Ford style filter to try and find a long filter with a valve that works.

I swapped that out several years ago just to simplify filters on the shelf when the fleet was bigger.
91 and newer Jeep 4.0 adapter screws right in.
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2011 at 3:37am
Alright, thanks for all the tips guys really helpful. Here is what I did.

10w40 Castrol high mileage (instead of 10W30 Valvoline)
resealed front cover, oil pump, etc and old one not in the best shape so swapped in a 1991 Wagoneer front cover with the different Chrysler style oil filter adapter from low mile car. Didn't change the gears as they were within spec when I measured as per my TSM
Bosch $7 filter (the smaller 1991 bypass one)

Knock is  G.O.N.E. Smile

Smile
Next step is to put an oil gauge and sending unit on and check the actual pressure. Now that the knock is gone, I have begun to question the pressure might be too high as seems to be much online about too much pressure at idle, etc being an issue for these AMC engines and how very carefully the oil pump must be setup.
69modjav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69modjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2011 at 12:31pm
I had this problem on my 360 and i knew it wasn't worn out. I got rid of the wix filter that i was running and put on a fram. No more lifter tick or knock at start up.
69 BBO Mod Javelin 390 4 speed
77 Jeep J10 360 4 speed lifted
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic