TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rod Knock on startup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod Knock on startup
    Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 8:32pm
1975 360, 10w30 Valvoline, Napa Gold/WIX filter. Vehicle has rod knock on start up-about 3-4 knocks, then fine. Very good performing/smooth running engine except this issue. In never use fram filters, always napa gold.  Am I looking at a clogged screen or worn oil pump or possibly something else?

If I need an oil screen, I will need to drop the pan however the vehicle is a Matador Coupe so removing the hood is not an option. I was told I could drop the cross member, but how might I support the engine without removing the hood while the cross member is off?
A-Sedan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Sedan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by timoboy timoboy wrote:

1975 360, 10w30 Valvoline, Napa Gold/WIX filter. Vehicle has rod knock on start up-about 3-4 knocks, then fine. Very good performing/smooth running engine except this issue. In never use fram filters, always napa gold.  Am I looking at a clogged screen or worn oil pump or possibly something else?

If I need an oil screen, I will need to drop the pan however the vehicle is a Matador Coupe so removing the hood is not an option. I was told I could drop the cross member, but how might I support the engine without removing the hood while the cross member is off?
Try an AC PF-24 I have had excellent luck with them. No luck with NAPA filters. Really before you get too far into thinking there is a big problem at least try the AC filter first. Fill the filter with oil and let it soak it up then fill it again, do this until the filter holds oil about an inch from the top then turn it sideways and spin it on, you won't lose much if any oil. See how that works for you.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 8:49pm
I doubt that the oil screen is plugged and there is no engine rebuild in a can that works to my knowledge. If you have a rod knock and, you KNOW that it is a rod knock you better pull it apart and inspect it before it is too late. As a reference for you, I smoked a brand new engine on start up with NAPA 10w30 oil and a NAPA Gold/WIX filter. (Took out the cam lobes hence, the bearings) I have since switched to a Delco PF24 and Rotella or Comp Cams oil. And, I always use some form of Zinc additive.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 8:49pm
My 360 in my Javelin does this too.  I attribute it to just being a high mileage engine.   Except I would never run anything as thin as 10w30.  I'm usually running 20w-50 in my Javelin, but it's also strictly a summer cruiser.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 9:13pm
You;re looking at a worn bearing/journal, not a clogged screen or wrong brand filter.
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 9:14pm
I will look into an AC delco filter, and may do a new oil pump too as the front cover has to come off anyhow to fix a coolant leak.  I just don't see the engine being "finished" because of this though. I park on a reasonably inclined drive, and never more then 4 knocks usually only 2-3 then a motor that runs like new, burns no oil, idle's smoothly and pulls hard. Seems mainly like an oil delivery issue at start-up. 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 9:16pm
"you;re looking at a worn bearing/journal, not a clogged screen or wrong brand filter."

That, is what I was trying to say but you got to the point faster.....
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 9:17pm
Denial.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Denial.

Yeah! I agree with that!  LOL
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2011 at 10:27pm
When I worked at NAPA their oil was made by Valvoline, which I don't like. I prefer Pennzoil. Try some Lucas oil stabilizer to help with the dry start-ups.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic