TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 Rambler 990-H

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 88>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2011 at 10:17pm
I'm going to run a 5 gallon tank with twin Viair 400C's.  In the front I have Ride tech 6781's which are basically just a Firestone 2100lb bag.  I'm running a custom Air management unit based on a Motorola HCS12 Microcontroller utilizing Ride tech's Air manifold and Range Rover Height sensors.
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
1965 Rambler Marlin - Parts
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCLB
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 11:19am
Looks like a nice well thought-out installation. Keep the photos coming!

The rust in the front firewall corners is typical of early Ramblers (pre 67). I haven't had any 67+ big cars, but never heard of any of those rust issues on those models.
Frank Swygert
Rocknthehawk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 6:14pm
Looks great. I have the bag parts for my '66, waiting til spring to install.

Do you have any measurments for your plates? I'd like to get a set cut/ordered before I tear my car apart to save time.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 7:27pm
Yeah, if someone has those bag plates in a file I sure would like to have it, or be interested in buying the plates themselves.

Rust? That's not rust...

That was rust!

Seriously mine looks a lot like yours, and it appears you are getting yours done a lot faster than me!
For inspiration, The 65 ran that brace clear to the core and this was my replacement.

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 7:38pm
My Father and I designed and engineered the bag mounts, I have the files in .cdr and .dxf formats but I really don't want to release them just yet. I would like to get a couple of miles on the setup to make sure there aren't any design flaws / unforeseen issues with them.
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

Seriously mine looks a lot like yours, and it appears you are getting yours done a lot faster than me!

From pulling the car out of the field to where we're at now is only just over a month.

As for rust, I wish I would have taken more pictures of what I started with.  Lets just say that from what your pictures seem to indicate yours is a gem compared to mine, Unhappy.  Every horizontal surface except the roof will be replaced before I am done cutting rust out.  I removed the muffler with nothing buy my hands, through the trunk.
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Exzion Exzion wrote:

My Father and I designed and engineered the bag mounts, I have the files in .cdr and .dxf formats but I really don't want to release them just yet. I would like to get a couple of miles on the setup to make sure there aren't any design flaws / unforeseen issues with them.

Theres a 63 (i think) on s10forum.com that has really similar mounts. I haven't been able to get info from the builder yet.

When you do feel comfortable giving them out, I would appriciate a copy. Sure would save me a ton of time.
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 8:05pm
It's possible that someone has similar mounts.  It's really the only legit way of mounting bags to this particular type of front suspension.  Do you have a link to the other build?
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2011 at 6:29am
Here's the build:

My only concern with your build is seeing the sleeve bags. They do provide a nice ride, but remember their max and minimum dimensions when mounting. I think they're 4" collapsed (anything lower will tear them), and you may need limit straps to avoid over extending them.

I wont clog your thread with my ride, this is my previous bagged ride:
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2011 at 8:03am
Your absolutely correct on the downsides of the sleeve type bag.  The limitations were taken into account when the shocks(used as limit straps) were measured and ordered and the pedestal mounts were designed.  The factory bump stop on the rear end will limit the bag to a 4.5" compressed height and the shocks are 1" shorter than factory which will limit the bag to no more than 12" when extended.

Edited by Exzion - Feb/07/2011 at 8:11am
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 88>
  Share Topic