TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 Pinion setting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2011 at 9:31pm
What you say makes complete sense.  Great info at the link too.  Thanks
 for adding it.
Really do like your car!
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 1:26pm
I used to do a lot of gears for our 4x4 club. I bought one of these: Pinion Depth Tool. Probably not worth the money if you're only going to do it once or twice, but it does save a lot of time if you set up gears often. I also buy most of my gears from them, pretty good prices.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2011 at 2:55am
Thanks Bob.  Cool looking tool however I can't justify the cost for doing just 1 diff.  I was considering making a tool to measure the depth but I'm going to take the advise offered here and start with the original shims.
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2011 at 8:06am
Here's a great tool for less than half the price.  http://www.precisionmeasure.com/rear2.htm  $150
AMC 20 rears use the same pinion bearings and differential bearings as GM 12 bolts so the tools that work on the GM rear ends will work on the AMC20.

Edited by Class Guy - Feb/05/2011 at 8:06am
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 12:35pm
The new gears have arrived but the shims are to go on before the bearings.  This must make it a real pain to set up if you have to install the bearings then remove them each time you need to change a shim. 

Is it Ratech that make AMC style shims?  Who else or where else can I get the correct shim sets?

Edited by mchaggis - Feb/18/2011 at 3:53pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 4:05pm
Yes, you can use GM 12 bolt shims, BUT they aren't the correct diameter, and you have to use them under the pinion bearing, instead of under the race like factory. Ratech is the only place I've found that sells shims in the original AMC diameter. Worth the money IMO.

I had one of the "universal" pinion depth tools. Spent more time getting the tool set up than setting up the gears. The one I sent the link to requires minimal setup.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Feb/15/2011 at 9:52am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by mchaggis mchaggis wrote:

The new gears have arrived but the shims are to on before the bearings.  This must make it a real pain to set up if you have to install the bearings then remove them each time you need to change a shim. 

Is it Ratech that make AMC style shims?  Who else or where else can I get the correct shim sets?

Not if you have a good old bearing and or bearing race that you can sand down , were it slips in and out.
If not, it is a pain.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Feb/14/2011 at 6:53pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 7:02pm
I've emailed Ratech several times and have just rung them.  The number they list on their web site is "not in service".
Are they still in business?  Does anyone have the correct contact details for them?

Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Yes, you can use GM 12 bolt shims, BUT they aren't the correct diameter, and you have to use them under the pinion bearing, instead of under the race like factory. Ratech is the only place I've found that sells shims in the original AMC diameter. Worth the money IMO.

I had one of the "universal" pinion depth tools. Spent more time getting the tool set up than setting up the gears. The one I sent the link to requires minimal setup.

Bob
tufcj
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 1:49pm
Ratech have passed my request for shims to one of their distributors, Preformance Plus Connection, so it looks like I've got this one sorted.
Thanks to all for your help.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 3:42pm
On the bearing set up.  Get extra NEW bearings and use a brake cylinder hone to open up the Inner races so they slip on.  Set the rear end up with the slip fit bearings and swap the press fit ones you will run after you are finished.  Don't use used bearings because they may throw off the set up.  Make sure you use the same brand and style bearing as you used for set up for most accuracy.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic