TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

automatic or stick?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2011 at 11:10pm
ok i started this post and, everyone either thinks i'm looking for a deep 10 second drag car or a 13 second street car, and i'm much more on the 11.50 to 11.30 car that will probably get faster as time goes by. and it probably won't be seeing that many street miles except the occasional trip around town. and if i didn't think i could come up with a way to get it to leave dumping the clutch off a two step at 5500 or 6000rpm  i wouldn't even consider a stick. because your right there just not consistent enough i've even looked at a liberty gear proshifted toploader, but they do say you will eat it up quick on the street. i wonder what the difference is in the jericos and gf5rs that people run on the street is?
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 6:21am
If thats your goal run a t-10..I went 11.60's 120 with my Scrambler with a t-10 and a hays B+B clutch...that clutch was safe and dependable...until I made 6-8 runs at cordova many years ago in about a 1/2 hr -45 minute period..got the disc hot and wiped the lining off the disc...after that I thought I would step up the clutch and bought a ram..I tore the world up with that clutch...
That hays street strip clutch was a perfect clutch...I put several thousand street miles on it and raced it on weekends...
maybe I was lucky with that clutch? to be safe I would run skeowns set-up..hyatt clutch and t-10...that should be fairly affordable...you'll never regret doing it...
Dan you are correct...VERY amusing..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:19am
Here's another idea, it's what is in my son's car and was in mine years ago.  My son's car has run 11.40s so far and is using a Mopar 883 4 speed Hemi trans with pro-shift modified gears.  That thing is a tad heavy but also indestructible in a 11 seconds car. 

But if I were doing it again, I would probably do a Tremec TKO-600.  Great combo for street and strip.  Call Liberty's Gears and talk to Paul.  They sell the complete trans and also modify them.  That way you have the ability to handle the power and have over drive for the street.
http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc.htm

With a line lock and a two step limiter, there's no reason a decent driver can't be consistent with a stick.  If you want to race in the box class, add a magnet to the clutch pedal that can be controlled by your box.  The car will be consistent once the clutch is setup properly.  The driver is usually the issue.

Edited by stickshifter - Feb/01/2011 at 7:23am
   7.03 @ 196 mph
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by stickshifter stickshifter wrote:

.  The driver is usually the issue.

Isn't that always the issue?  LOL   LOLHammer HeadSmack

Allan

Hammer Head
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 6:30pm
what bellhousing does it take to put a moper a883 behind one?
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by pfordamx pfordamx wrote:

what bellhousing does it take to put a moper a883 behind one?

Now that is interesting.  The input shaft on the 883 is shorter than a T-10.  So at the time I had a Lakewood bell housing with the double bumps.  This was about 1" to deep.  So I had a choice, make the shaft longer or housing shallower.  I did the second but would recommend the first.  Liberty's can make a longer shaft but I was way too cheap back then.  But today there are many other housing options that were not available 20 years ago.

Long story short:  There is not an off the shelf setup for which I can provide a part number.  It may require some engineering and investigation on your part.  I do know that guys around here were also running Ford top loaders in their AMC "back in the day" so almost anything is possible.

Edited by stickshifter - Feb/01/2011 at 8:35pm
   7.03 @ 196 mph
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 9:06pm
yeah i've been investigating theTKO 600 option which seems like the best choice and quicktime makes a bell housing to adapt one to a amc so mating it to the engine would be easy. and i like the idea of a overdrive i figure if i can find a good deal on one, and send it to liberty and have 1 through 4 proshifted or faceplated, and leave 5 synchoed i might have a good balance of street, strip. with the proper clutch setup, but i'm still talking about probably five thousand dollars for it all to be done right. i'll probably run the auto since i have one and save for the stick 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic