TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headliner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headliner
    Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 9:26pm
My 69 Javelin Headliner backboard is in very bad shape. Any idea about a replacement? Or making a new one.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 9:43am
Here we go again!!!!
If you search this subject you'll find four or five threads on this if not more.  You'll see that the shell is hard to come by but some guys have them.  Then you'll here about the new plastic hard shells being sold.  After that someone will mention how to repair them using gauze and Elmer's glue watered down.  Then lastly someone might mention the headliner material you can buy. 
Not to sound like a jerk but it seems we go through these common topics over and over.
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 3:19pm
Wow I guess this forum has answered all the AMC question question ever asked. I guess nothing new will ever come up and no new member have joined the forum with possibly new experiences. I currently replaced my headliner in my Dodge Dakota first time.. new experience, including starting to make door panels for my Javelin.. first time.

Oh yea.. Sorry Its A JAVELIN, not a Rambler or a AMX that they makes a replacement for.

Funny. I already did the ten page headliner search and found nothing on Elmer glue and qauze? Is that some thing you tried? or Did you just buy new or yours didn't need it?

Not to be a jerk but you seem to always tell people to do a search..

There are a ton of talented AMCers that read this Forum that refuse to answer questions(4673 members).

Allan
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 4:41pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 5:53pm
Dave, thanks for the Posts.

First , I don't understand why my full search didn't come up with that one considering its title is Headliner. maybe not new enough posting..  Interesting Ideas, but I don't think mine is even as good as that one

Since I have time right now to work on mine, I will see what I can do, been a while since I looked at it and see how bad it is.  I did find some info about using Sheets of PCV to replace the whole thing and using a heat gun to shape it, maybe a option. But a bit more work.

Allan
Budwisr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budwisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:17pm
 The search never works well for me either. If your headliner backer is bad as it sounds, you probably need to install it in the car with double faced tape and coat it with a layer of fiberglass. It will be messy of course, so you'll want to do it with the rest of the interior out. Once you get a hard shell you can remove it and recover it. The Javelin headliners are not repo'd but unlike the AMX ones they can be easily recovered with the foam backed vinyl. Good luck. Bud

1970 AMX 1980 AMX
<br
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:26pm
Aljav, your right and I apologize. PM will be sent soon.
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:50pm
X2 on not finding what you need to know with the search. I did what budwisr suggested., worked pretty good. I found some fiberglass resin in gel form, lot less messy. I did a couple coats to get it thick enough to run a da sander over it to smooth it out a bit.
360 5-speed orig owner...
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:52pm
yeah,
some times I search and find great posts,
others I never find the post I am looking for or don't get good results.

sometimes its with new topics I want to know about,
sometimes its stuff I know I have seen but can't find with the search.

It's frustrating to both not find stuff you search for, or see posts asking for stuff you know has a dozen threads.

But at the end of the day we all just want to get our AMC s back on the road or improved.
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Talonfcc566 Talonfcc566 wrote:

Aljav, your right and I apologize. PM will be sent soon.

Just to Clarify, me and Talonfcc566 are all good. He Apologized, I accepted and he has many great points in his PM.. All done!!!Thumbs Up

Moving on.  If I am going to go to look at my headliner in the next few and take some pics and post them and see where I can go from there.

and next time I will have to look at my searches and learn to expand them better. I forgot about the dates. I only did 6 months

Allan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic