TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 bolt mains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 bolt mains
    Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 7:49pm
I have read articles that  a Mark Donohue Javelin had 4 bolt mains in a 360.  I have seen several 360's torn down but non had 4 bolt mains.  Did they or didn't they?  If they did then that should be a good indicator that a Javelin SST is a Donohue.
70 AMX, 70 Mark Donohue, 74 Javelin
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 8:06pm
The race ones had the 4 bolts and a trans am block.  The stock ones did not.  There may have been a few released to the public for homologation reasons but I have never seen one in a consumer vehicle.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2011 at 11:10pm
I've only seen one AMC V8 4 bolt main and it came out of a TA Javelin.
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 6:44am
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
amc37643 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc37643 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 7:32am
Bulletpruf is this block standard in web thickness at the bottom for use of these 4 bolt mains or thicker? reason for asking some say using 4 bolt mains weakens the standard blocks.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:36am
I've only seen 401's with the wide flange that could be drilled for 4 bolt mains. There was a 4 bolt provision service block offered at one time, but I have never seen it myself. My 360 Donohue did not have this block.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:54am
NASCAR Penske engine.  357 cu in. 

Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
amc37643 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc37643 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 8:56am
Was the 401 block a standard 401 (run of the mill type as would have been in full size JEEP) or something different?
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 9:20am
Believe it was a service replacement block w/no CI cast into it.  All cylinders sleeved; presumably to bring CI down for NASCAR.  Crank is a destroked 401 crank full of heavy metal.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2011 at 9:50am
Wow, interesting piece of racing history you have there. Looks like a few oiling and cooling modifications were made. Also looks like rod 3 or 4 let go.

Is there a casting number on the block?

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic