TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Model 20 info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 4:37pm
Forgotten:AMC WALLY BOOTH  " Quote" from Wally Booth summer of 2010. "I made over 800 Hundred horse power with my Motor" ( approx 366 cubic inches) Wally was consistently in the top ten of NHRA Pro Stock  thru out the 70's. While wally did a lot of work on Cylinder heads, AMC Cylinder heads are very powerful head.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/lets-go-nostalgia-pro-stock-racing_topic20972_page3.html

If our AMC are unable to make power, why this? ( Stock crankshaft)

http://theamcforum.com/forum/lets-go-nostalgia-pro-stock-racing_topic20972_page4.html

U need to come out to the AMC Nationals and see those slow AMC's. you are totally misinformed.

ALL SS/AMX ARE AMC POWERED!!!!!! the only Super stock cars that are faster are Hemi Powered Superstock.

U need to be way more informed!!!!

Allan

Edited by Aljav - Jan/15/2011 at 4:38pm
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 5:04pm
I will give the original poster one thing, there are frequently high HP ford/chev/mopar engines for sale for cheap that make big horsepwer.  they would temp anyone.
but if you want to build 700hp from scratch, and i believe stickshifter has mentioned this before in a different thread, it all starts getting into custom pieces and machine work and the cost evens out.

but back to the smartest post in this thread...the entire thing is useless without pictures.  I will start holding my breath now.

Steve
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Zathien666 Zathien666 wrote:

there aren't any aftermarket cranks for the 360 u have to custom forge one or cut a gm crank to fit

i'd like to see that happen!!!!!LOL

vvvvvvv oh ya don't look here vvvvvvv Ouch

Edited by 390spirit - Jan/15/2011 at 6:43pm
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 8:20pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKaBAGFKiE

enough said I would think 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

So?????? What are you trying to say? An inline 6 is a completely different and stronger design that's why the diesel industry uses them. Don't know why you wasted your time........so...... Yah...... Still no 360.... No dyno..... No 450hp to the wheels. There is alot of talk tho I'll give you guys that no doubt. Oh and all engines back then had high nickel content up until about 72. There was nickel in engine blocks even in 84. Aaaaaaaannnnnd as far as a sbf splitting your right 302's don't get much higher than 550-600hp. But that's a v8. As for a 351w they go much higher in hp than 600 hp and that's to the wheels.

Show me one stock block/crank/head 351 windsor combo that makes 600 to the wheels naturally aspirated, Please.
And dont forget the dyno slips too..........Id like to see that too........Sleepy    I do know for a fact that Barry Allen can build a 450 HP 360...............Ive seem some of his engines run on the track,  Randy and Robert McCorkle was turning 9's with a 401 in a 72 AMX...............

I think he is confusing a 351 W  with a 351Cleveland  500 ponies with bolt on parts. 
I wish I had kept 20 years of time cards . I built just about all engine types over the years . and getting over 500 HP costs no mater what you start with. and believe it or not the highest HP from factory I ever had was a 1970 Olds 98. 455 . HP rating 525hp , 422 lbs/tq  
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2011 at 11:10pm

Nope all articles I have read and prices from websites I have not fabricated anything. To believe that amc is actually capable of competing against the big 3 in engineering is narrow minded. They weren't the best of their time they aren't the best now and they won't be anything special in the future. They are kool to own and fun to drive but that's about it.

AHA, the truth comes out. I read it on the web, it must be true! Those guys wouldn't put anything on their web site that wasn't true, right?
Oh, the great mis-information stupid-highway.  How many technical web sites can I come up with that are totally wrong without trying........ tooooo many.
How about the transmission expert who swore that the pressures behaved a certain way, and a (former) member who argued that the site was totally correct, even after I scanned and posted pages directly out of the tech manuals for that transmission showing not only he, but the site he worshipped was wrong?? But it was on that fellow's web site, and he knows more! (no, he was a shade-tree person, but me with factory training in transmissions didn't know as much, I guess)
Even some of the better car magazines have come out and touted AMCs advanced engineering. Back in the day, Popular Mechanics and other magazines marvalled over AMC's ingenious designs and their engine abilities. And right on MOPAR using some of the AMC engine engineering after they engulfed AMC - not because AMC was inferior, but because they had some technology that was better than MOPAR.
Yeah, don't forget the trans-am racing............
Before you go quoting and touting web sites, you might just visit GAD and Cordova AMC Nationals and see just what AMC engines have to offer.
You've been believing and listening to too many AMC haters.
So far I see no facts from this - only opinions based not even on first-hand experience, but from "what he reads" and hears from others! Of course if you hang out in the Mustang and Camaro forums you'll come to believe AMC was all crap all of the time and never had a good engine. DUH.

>>That being said taking any stock amc engine and trying to get 400-450+hp to the wheels out of it would cost over 15k.<<
Where the @#$ did THAT come from? 15K? Joking, right? Even after all the threads here on how some folks have turned some pretty decent HP on a budget - Ken Parkman and his engine a while back - bet it wasn't a 15K budget there unless he's got more dough than I imagine.

In some forums, some folks would be screaming "troll"...............

Edited by billd - Jan/15/2011 at 11:14pm
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 6:19pm
TROLL?

More Like. What's the air speed velocity of a Swallow?

Troll or zealot. Makes no real difference as his three questions
and assorted answers are diatribe either fabricated to stir the pot or worse. (Like he realty believes what he speaketh)...

Party on Garth, Pacer not needed.

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 6:55pm
Oh,  and I suppose you think we really landed on the moon too.  I read that was faked.  I don't think this is over.  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?ConfusedLOL
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?ConfusedLOL

They did it again?
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2011 at 7:10pm
One of my favorite lines Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic