TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Model 20 info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Zathien666 Zathien666 wrote:

And if you want to compare big blocs let's compare the ford 390 to the amc 390. I mean if you being honest let's see a couple pics of the engine and the dyno shots.

Have you ever actually set eyes on an AMC engine?  Since when did the AMC become a big block?  It is the same rough size as a small block Chevy and lighter. AMC DID NOT MAKE A BIG BLOCK EVER!!!!
In the words of the great proffit Foghorn Leghorne."Go away boy; you bother me"
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Zathien666 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 1:34pm
Hahaha you guys are a trip. I was asking about the rear end because I haven't had a lot of experience with the amc rears. And yes the amc engines are high in nickel but then again so were most engines in the 70s but the internals are weak. The crank can't handle 700hp safely and there aren't any aftermarket cranks for the 360 u have to custom forge one or cut a gm crank to fit and that in itself completely defeats the purpose of keeping the original 360 to begin with. All your doing is putting a mask on an ugly kid. The heads were strong yes but not better that 99% of the competition with a mild port. Your a little off there. The fact is if your happy with what u got bring it to the track in a couple months and I'll show you real power. The engines were adequate for what they were and I'm not arguing that. Fact is there's a reason the "big 3" ARE THE BIG 3 and it's not beCause AMC had a better engine than they did.
Dear Mr and Mrs Honda no this is not a Mach 1 and yes I will embarrass you on the strip.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 1:35pm
This is getting ridiculous! I think you guys are arguing with a high school kid. ICEs all pretty much fall under the same constraints no matter who made them. Factory parts are limited in strength because all they are designed to do is get mom and pop around reliably, with a little extra strength for reliability. Performance is and always has been a side show. Build big power and nearly everything must be changed, doesn't matter about make. Some specific items are weaker than others, just depends on where the engineers decided to compromise. The small block Ford isn't strong enough for a lot of power, 500 hp is about the limit for a factory stock block. An AMC 360 is a good bit stronger. Pick parts to build what power you want, and sometimes that will mean an aftermarket block. Anyone who knows much about engines in general knows this. The guy you've been arguing with apparently doesn't.

The Gen-2 and Gen-3 AMC V-8s are basically small blocks. As such they are some of the stronger small blocks around. They are sometimes referred to as "mid blocks". They share all but one general characteristic with GM/Ford/Chrysler small blocks. That one exception is the bore centers. AMC used a bigger bore center, by coincidence the same as Chrysler big blocks (that's why Chrylser BB aluminum heads used to be drilled to fit AMCs by drag racers before a real AMC aluminum head was available). The only reason they used that bore center is because the Gen-1 AMC/Rambler V-8 used them. By keeping the bore centers the boring tooling could be kept as well, saving a good bit of tooling money. The old Gen-1 more closely resembles an FE Ford or BB Chevy, but was only 250/287/327 inches.

The big three are the big three because they were bigger and had more money to work with. It wasn't always that way. There was a lot of consolidating after World War II, and other things happened about the same time (rationing materials, etc.) to really shake out the auto industry. AMC was the only small company to survive because they had well engineered products. The heads of AMC made a lot of bad business decisions starting in the mid 60s. THAT is what drove AMC down, nothing to do with engineering. In the early 60s AMC was competing successfully and had a surplus of cash. It took the next guy in line after Romney about three years to spend all the surplus and alienate AMC's bread and butter customers. THAT did more harm than anything -- AMC never really recovered from that. A few mistakes later and they were on the skids. The Pacer turned out to be a mistake, but only in hindsight. At first it sold well, faster than AMC could make them, then the first oil crunch hit and killed sales. The Pacer got no better mileage than other mid-sized cars, but was a bit less roomy. Plenty safety features though, which added lots of weight, and killed gas mileage and power. So people went to smaller, more economical cars and left the Pacer on the showroom floor. The Matador Coupe was another mistake. Shared only drivetrain and some minor components with other cars. Did make a better NASCAR racer, but didn't bring droves to the showroom. It was costly to produce. In the early 60s AMC had a nicely integrated product line that shared as many components as possible. Lee Iaccoca followed the same route to revive Chrysler with the K-car and derivatives. It's economical and works. AMC forgot that and tried to make a wider variety of cars than it could really afford, but you don't know until you try. Hindsight is 20/20, in business you have to look to the future -- and sometimes you just don't get it. AMC just wasn't big enough to absorb the big blunders that GM and Ford made -- Edsel, Vega aluminum engine, X-cars, etc. -- many more than AMC ever made, and bigger ones, but able to financially absorb the losses and keep going... at least until now. Now they are having problems...

Edited by farna - Jan/14/2011 at 1:46pm
Frank Swygert
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 1:45pm
Not really arguing with him.  Just educating and entertainning.  I like the way he came back with the juvinile lets race comment.  If the car he speaks of was ever built he wouldn't be allowed to drive it without a license anyways.  It's a slow day at work, let me have some fun.LOLLOL
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 2:10pm
Your similac is getting cold
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Thanks.  I forgot where I put it.Confused
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

72AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 2:35pm
Hi, can anyone tell me if a stock 1970 Ford 9" rear can handle 1000 horsepower?  I am thinking about putting a F-16 GE F-110 engine in my Pinto and was wondering if I can break the sound barrier in it?
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Thanks.  I forgot where I put it.Confused
Not you, I know you drink geritolLOL
jmd868s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmd868s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 3:06pm

That depends, what year is the Pinto

steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 3:10pm
On another, less family friendly, forum I use - they have an emoticon where a hand is stroking something.  I think that pretty much sums up this entire thread. **
So pretend I inserted that emoticon here and we can wrap this thread up until we see timeslips.

Steve

** Don't forget to read the sister thread in the engine section.  Budget:  $3,000.00  Seven hundred horsepower here we come!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic