TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Model 20 info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 20 info
    Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 9:41am
Hey guys I need help With some specs. I'm having to up grade the engine in my 74 Amx because the 360 just isn't going to be capable of the hp I'm looking for. I believe I have a model 20 rear end does anyone know how much hp and torque it is capable of handling? Thanks
Dear Mr and Mrs Honda no this is not a Mach 1 and yes I will embarrass you on the strip.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 11:11am
Enough to handle a 360.
Zathien666 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Enough to handle a 360.

No I'm replacing the engine with a stronger more powerful engine question is how strong is the rear end in stock form and what can it hold up to fully built. Engine is going to make around 700 hp under boost. I'll post specs of the engine in a different thread to prevent any arguments.
Dear Mr and Mrs Honda no this is not a Mach 1 and yes I will embarrass you on the strip.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Zathien666 Zathien666 wrote:

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Enough to handle a 360.

No I'm replacing the engine with a stronger more powerful engine question is how strong is the rear end in stock form and what can it hold up to fully built. Engine is going to make around 700 hp under boost. I'll post specs of the engine in a different thread to prevent any arguments.
Good luck on preventing arguments.  put one piece axles in it and it will handle alot of power.  if you are going to drive it on the street, well, Id say stupidity will break it, because you can break any axle under the right conditions.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 7:44am
Well since no one knows what the Specs are i might as well just switch to a complete ford drivetrane since it's going to have a ford engine. It's sad that AMC really didn't produce anything that is capable of high hp or duabillity anyways..
72AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 7:53am
Yeah it's sad that you have to come on to am AMC board to moan about AMC parts while bragging on Ford parts that you are going to put into your car.  If AMC parts suck so bad why did you buy the AMC car that you own, why not just buy some POS Ford and save yourself the trouble?  I'm sure some AMC idiot will buy your AMC so you can use the money to get yourself a FERD. 

Edited by 72AMX - Jan/14/2011 at 7:54am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 8:29am
Hey im just being honest I am unbiased as far as cars go. I love amc body designs. But the fact is that amc did not have the greatest engineers. They made "decent" family cars but that's all. There's no shame in that. That being said taking any stock amc engine and trying to get 400-450+hp to the wheels out of it would cost over 15k. I would like to keep the stock rear end but if it's going blow apart the second it gets over 500 pounds of torque there's no point. Please don't get butt hurt. I was asking a simple question about an axle. That's all i wanted to know
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Zathien666 Zathien666 wrote:

Hey im just being honest I am unbiased as far as cars go. I love amc body designs. But the fact is that amc did not have the greatest engineers. They made "decent" family cars but that's all. There's no shame in that. That being said taking any stock amc engine and trying to get 400-450+hp to the wheels out of it would cost over 15k. I would like to keep the stock rear end but if it's going blow apart the second it gets over 500 pounds of torque there's no point. Please don't get butt hurt. I was asking a simple question about an axle. That's all i wanted to know
I was being truthful.  but its alot more work to put a Ford drive train in your car.  nothing is free.  you would be better off to get a mustang. AMC engines can put out a great deal of power, more so than a SBF.............Dont get me wrong either, I like Fords too,  but I dont like somebody elses engine in a given chassis.  reread what I said in this post. and actually, AMC had some of the best engineers in the industry, alot of them are now working at chrysler doing engineering for Jeeps, and remember the "cabin forward" in the big chrysler FWD cars?  AMC engineers did that.........If you dont like AMC drivetrains, well, then Id say you dont know what you are talking about.  you have to remember its 40 year technology,  you cant compare it to todays technology.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/14/2011 at 8:53am
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 8:54am
The AMC 20 with one piece axles is just as strong as a 12 bolt gm .
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zathien666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2011 at 9:33am
Your correct I just wanted to know if anyone has used it in a mild drag race application. Personaly I dont care if it's a ford / gm/ Japanese / or European product. I like speed, regardless of who can give it to me. But I know for a fact that no amc engine can produce more power than a sbf or chevy. People on this forum are dungting bricks when they see an engine make more than 400 to the flywheel. I love amc body styles but there engines are dogs. I would love to have a 700 hp amc 401 but it would cost over 30k to build and you would have to start with a $8k aluminum block. It's just impractical. I completely agree with the fact that it would be great to keep it ALL amc but I could buy a new vehicle for that price. If their engines were so fantastic amc wouldn't have had to sell out. None of their drag cars had the original engines and for good reason. I'm not knocking the car i love my javelin but I'm not breaking my bank just to be able to have a semi competitive car. I'm not arguing with anyone and please don't think I'm trying to I'm just trying to save as much money as i can. Some may feel that I'm killing a car some may not care either way I'm just out for a hard running javelin. If I wanted a mustang body I'd have bought one I want something different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic