TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Procedure for Aligning Rag Joint With Steering Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Procedure for Aligning Rag Joint With Steering Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procedure for Aligning Rag Joint With Steering Box
    Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:30pm

Hi All,

I am attempting to install a new steering box in my car.  Is there a specific procedure for aligning the rag joint to the stub shaft on the steering box and to the shaft on the steering column?  The parts seem like they only go together one way. But when I have the box on center, my steering wheel is off maybe a 1/4 turn.  I am thinking maybe I don't have the rag joint properly indexed to the box stub shaft.

This is for a power steering car.  The TSM has a procedure for manual steering couplers (rag joints), but for the power steering rag joint they just say put alignment marks on the parts which is not much help when installing new parts.

Thanks,
Dave
'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:42pm
When the wheels are straight, pull the steering wheel and remount it so it is on center, not 1/4 turn off ?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2011 at 11:54pm
On my 73 this does not work, the wheel is keyed and can only go on one way. All 3 of mine are a little off too and I have yet to find any front end guy who has the skills to fix it. 
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 9:14am
I fill your pain on finding a good front end guy these days. But it is in the front end adjustment . I think the both tie rod ends have to be adjusted one way or the other to get it centered.The old alignment shop that I finely found fixed mine and told me just how tweaked my front end was and were. It is something I will have to fix one day.

But he was able to align it were it does not eat the tires up. and have a straight steering wheel.   Smile

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jan/12/2011 at 9:22am
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 11:20am

Not aligning the steering wheel is just a sign of the shop being lazy.  They are supposed to put a gizmo fro the steering wheel to the brake pedal that holds is centered and then simply adjust the tie rods ends to get the wheels straight. Ask beforehand to ensure they will do what you need before plunking down any more hard earned cash or go back to the place that did the last one and tell them to do their damn job and make it right. 

As you can tell, a shop failing to do something as simple as this annoys the heck out of me.   It's not like it's hard to do rather they are just lazy and don't do the complete job.  They took your money and now they need to do it right.  If they fail to do so and you paid with a credit card call up the credit card company and tell them you dispute the bill.  Maybe that will get their attention.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 9:23pm
A lazy shop can cause driving issues also.  If they don't center the box before doing the alignment you can get phantom pulls from the power steering spool valveing not being centered.  It will also mess with the steering angles.  Sometimes they have to remove the pitman arm after centering the box because someone has installed it wrong.  With the box and wheel centered the pitman arm and idler arms should be in the center of their travel also.  Just turning the adjustment sleeves to center the wheel may not be enough.  You may want to check the box to make sure it is centered and check the pitman and idler also.  Do this with the wheels streight ahead.  If they aren't correct you cannot get a straight steering wheel.

Where are you so we can recomend a good shop?

Edited by 69 ambassador 390 - Jan/12/2011 at 9:24pm
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

When the wheels are straight, pull the steering wheel and remount it so it is on center, not 1/4 turn off ?

That shortcut takes 1/4 turn out of your turning ability.
If you had a later variable ratio13/16 box, it would make for some real erratic straight line steering control.

69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

That shortcut takes 1/4 turn out of your turning ability.
If you had a later variable ratio13/16 box, it would make for some real erratic straight line steering control.

Yes sir ee bob,  Just like PMM said.  It can actually be very dangerous especially on crowned roads.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 10:14pm
Dave,

The input shaft on the steering box should have a line on the end of it for an alignment mark. That line points to 12 o'clock when the sector gear is centered. The coupler/rag joint has a small pointer or notch on it that you line up with the line on the steering box input shaft. When installed properly, the opening in the coupler for the pinch bolt will be at the 3 o'clock position.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
RB401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 1:23am
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

Dave,

The input shaft on the steering box should have a line on the end of it for an alignment mark. That line points to 12 o'clock when the sector gear is centered. The coupler/rag joint has a small pointer or notch on it that you line up with the line on the steering box input shaft. When installed properly, the opening in the coupler for the pinch bolt will be at the 3 o'clock position.

Matt

Matt,

Per the '74 TSM, those are the instructions for a manual steering box.  I did find though the instructions for a power box.  Essentially, the TSM says divide the total number of turns lock to lock by two.  From one side rotate the input shaft back 1/2 the total number of turns.  Then to get the gear exactly on center, the flat on the input shaft should be parallel with the top plate of the box.  You then install the coupler/rag joint onto the input shaft.  It should go on only one way with the flat in the coupler mating with the flat on the input shaft.  When installed correctly the pinch bolt should be pointing straight up and the stop pin should be in the 12 o'clock position. 

I think this where my problem is.  The machining on the new coupler is not the best.  (Nor was it very good on the original factory unit.)  The flat portion in the coupler which mates with the flat on the box input shaft is, unfortuneatly, not a flat.  Just some of the splines are machined away so its still somewhat round inside the coupler.  Enough so that the alignment could be off by 2 or even 3 splines.  Same story with the factory part of the coupler that splines onto the steering column intermediate shaft.  While there is a flat on the shaft, there is no flat inside the coupler.  The factory just rolled some of the splines to make it sort of flat.  Because of this sloppy machining, the indexing can be off a few splines at both ends of the coupler/rag joint. 

I am going to take the steering box off the car this weekend and check and verify that the alignment is correct at the input shaft end and if necessary see if I can index the steering wheel by moving the coupler a few splines at the intermediate shaft end.

Edited by RB401 - Jan/13/2011 at 1:26am
'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic