TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Bellhousing ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Bellhousing ID?
    Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 12:17pm

I found an old perfectly good AMC Bellhousing which I think came off one of my donor 63-66 Classic 770 cars I had in the past.  It was in one of my boxes of parts, but can't remember what rig it came from, if any!!  

The part is an aluminum bell for a manual transmission with part number inside next to the clutch lever ball socket numbered 3235824 (3236824 I can't tell).  Does anyone have part # access to ID the engine, car and transmission paring.  I tried fitting up a BW T-86OD and the bell's transmission holes have a much wider spread than that tranny.  The bell has 4 holes for mounting the transmission with 6 1/2" vertical spacing on the right and left sides; 6 1/2" horizontal spacing on the bottom two holes; and 7 7/8" horizontal on the top two holes.  It looks like it might accomodate a larger face like a T-10. 

I would post a picture of it, but guess I can't do that until I get a few more forum postings.  Any leads would be appreciated, thanks.
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2011 at 1:34pm
Pretty sure I know what you got, I will compare some numbers on the bells I have and let you know. SH
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 6:18pm
The number 3235824 bell you have is from a 84-86 Jeep used with an SR-4 4speed. If you look across from the number you listed, near where the starter fits, it will have a circle with a year in it, like say 84.  It has been used by folks for the conversion to the AMC used 5 speed like in a 83 spirit. It can also be used to fit a SR-4 4speed in a v-8 or 6cyl 76-83. The fork hole is larger than those cars originally used, but it will work and function fine. SH
ramblingon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 6:44pm
Yes thank you.  I received several emails from AMC folks that suggested it might be from an AMC Jeep.  I looked up Jeep Bell configurations, sure enough it showed a picture of mine for a Wagonner 327.  The article mentioned that it should fit the AMC 327, but cannot fit up a T-10 standard, Ford or GM unit to it,  it had to be a Jeep or AMC T-10 as the bolt pattern is proprietary to AMC.  So I guess that my Bellhousing might work for the 4 and 5 speed units you mentioned  and allow some Ramblers to have a 4 or 5 speed in their rides.  It would save fuel and give a sweet ride to those old  Ramblers!

Thanks for the update and your research, it is for sale if anyone wants to use it, send me a PM to work out the details.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 8:54pm
Since my last note, inputs and leads have let me positively ID'd the bellhousing.  It isn't so good news for you 287/327 V8 folks.  It is a AMC/Jeep/Javelin/AMX bell that fits AMC Mopar 304, 360 and 401 V-8 and 258 I-6 engines.  Unless the 287/327 V-8 engines have the same engine bolt patterns as those AMC/Mopar engines beyond 1966 it won't fit the 287/327 V8s.  Only AMC/Jeep T-10 will fit this bell as well as other listed 4 and 5 speed transmissions.  The exact bellhousing I have is now being sold on eBay item 190417624847 for those AMC/Jeep engines. You might want to take a look to verify the engine bolt patterns to see the exact duplicate of mine.   I appreciate all the PMs, personal research, and leads you all provided to help me ID this bell, Thanks again.

Now that it has been ID'd if anyone needs a bell for the 1966 and later Mopar AMC/Jeep engines it sounds like this is the one to adapt some 4 and 5 speed trannys listed for the AMC/Jeep vehicles.  Just shoot me a PM and we can work out the details.

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ramblingon ramblingon wrote:

It is a AMC/Jeep/Javelin/AMX bell that fits AMC Mopar 304, 360 and 401 V-8 and 258 I-6 engines.

I'd really leave the Mopar outta this.
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

It is a AMC/Jeep/Javelin/AMX bell that fits AMC Mopar 304, 360 and 401 V-8 and 258 I-6 engines.

...thanks PMM, you must have heard my teeth grating together too... Wink
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by 67RogueX-Code 67RogueX-Code wrote:

Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

...thanks PMM, you must have heard my teeth grating together too... Wink

Couldn't hear it over mine.LOL
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 9:45pm
Ok, OK, Ok for the sake of the forum.........disregard Mopar!!!!  Will AMC/Jeep be allowed?  I just got carried away at finding the ID of this bell and forgot my place in the AMC world and for which it stands!!  Sorry 'bout that!!!! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 9:48pm
AMC/Jeep isn't the problem. 304 isn't a Mopar engine and the 360 Mopar shares nothing but displacement and spark plugs with the AMC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic