TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Bellhousing ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Bellhousing ID?
    Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 2:53pm
Frank, I think a lot of folks look at the reinforcing at the bottom of the Y-block that is the Gen 1 V8 and, after comparing it with the Hudson Hornet 308 six, assume that there's at least some Hudson influence in that part of the design.

Besides...if it'd been totally a Hudson design under A. E. Barit, it would've still been a flathead Wink...
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 12:03pm
Dan, the AMC 327 isn't a Hudson design either, it's an AMC design. It was introduced in mid 1956 model year as a 250 in the Hudson Hornet Special and Nash Ambassador Special (actually the smaller Wasp and Statesman two door hardtops with Hornet/Ambo trim). It was for all practical purposes a clean slate design. The main design engineer came over from Kaiser and had worked on a Kaiser V-8 design (actually built a prototype) and he brought his experience over to AMC. I'm sure there are some design elements from the Kaiser design in the Gen1 AMC V-8 (56-66 250/287/327), but it was designed in-house at AMC (AMC formed in 1954 as a merger between Nash and Hudson).

Just to complete the history lesson, the Gen2 AMC V-8 is the 1966-69 290/343/390, and the Gen3 is the 70-91 304/360/401 (and 1970 only 390).

Some people don't like the "GenX" designation as GM uses a similar nomenclature, but it's just short for "Generation X" and is accurate. There is little difference between the Gen2 and Gen3, but the block and head castings changed. Just a slightly taller deck on the block, different exhaust ports on the head -- but all parts interchange with a few caveats (such as custom piston pin heights for some crank/rod/bore combos). The Gen1 is totally different -- the only commonality between the Gen1 and Gen2/3 is the bore centers. That was done so that the old boring equipment could be used to bore the new block, saving a couple million bucks.
Frank Swygert
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 12:01pm
Thank You , For That INFO . First Attempt
http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/krzyze-as-i-am/media/RearView_zps8f6ebd34.jpg. -

OH! THAT IS GREAT ! NEXT ? Find the Answer to the Type of Fork Used / The Size of HOLE CUT OUT ? and nice rubber flap still there in good condition ( there are other items still bolted in side / out side / the only # found so far is # 2 3171783 A
amcFever View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 11:49am
Marty,up in the righthand corner,where the little wheel symbol is,on the Picture you Want,in your photobucket app/album,

click That--->>THEN it brings up a whole list of links.
left-click the one that says Image img.
the Very last one at the bottom of the list.
it will say Copied for a brief 3 second pause.

then just come here hit right click on mouse and paste it into your post here.
then it will auto load the pics .
you can use the Preview button to make sure the pics loaded right as well ;) .
cheers!,Rob

Edited by amcFever - Sep/27/2013 at 11:53am
you dont get old and say i wish i had.....you get old and say..im glad i did.
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 10:52am
wORKING ON Photobucket album

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/krzyze-as-i-am/media/RearView_zps8f6ebd34.jpg.html

Working on Pic's of that 1956 Nash COUNTRY CLUB "Special v/8" Ambassador 2 Door Hard TOP > I FOUND IN MY LITTLE North Central FLorida Town For Sale for $1,000 A Real Barn FINE ! SHE DID SHINE ! SHE SMILED AT ME ** She Needs A Great New Home ** and Be On The Road Again or Even A Trailer Queen .. not my Call !! Later .. Mike in North Central FLorida 32148
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 10:24am
If you were able to identify the transmission that would be some kind of a help as certain transmissions were available on certain models, although the bolt pattern between some of them were identical
In any case I found this information and it ig

and it might help you out some what.  If this helps at all than a 66 67 v8 would indicate something like a 290 or 343 which has the same mounting requirements of any of the V8's used from that time on to end of production.  Including the I-6's from 1972 on.

h
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 9:21am
http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/krzyze-as-i-am/slideshow/
I Am Still Trying to Find Out What Mine FIT'S? Tag Just SAYS 1966/1967 V/8 3 Speed and the # on yours is diff !
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 1:59pm
As I stand in my garage and look around,  I too have one of those bell housings and the pedal assy to fit a hornet or Gremlin, might even work in a Concord or Spirit. And a Merkure 5 speed that would work with a bit of rebuilding.  A 232 with go fast goodies on the shelf and a pair of 360's, a pair of 904's and two hornets, one that needs to be restored which is where one of the 360's will end up leaving me with a 304.  And one of the 232's will end up in a street rod. One of the Hornets will be restored and sold the other is ending up as a street rod and I am 71.  Yup it is indeed a life time hobby.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
rusty71sst View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty71sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 10:26am
its simple just post here and help share knowledge with the world or you can pm me. I am just learning about these VERY DIFFERENT amc's. I grew up with the muscle cars for the big three but the amc bug didn't bite till last year. I plan to rebuild 2 amc javelins as time,money and parts permits. When I was growing up my father was a ford man,I was too till in my late 20's I caught the mopar bug. I still have a yard of mopar projects. Now I also have a pair of Javelins for them to sleep with. I plan on having my own muscle car collection to keep me busy through my retirement years.This is what I have been planning for a retirement program. I view this as a life time hobby, not a job,not a way of making income just my idea of fun.just my 2 cents.
amc is the torque master!
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 3:53pm
I Have an Old Aluminum 3 Speed Standard Shift Bell Housing . I will GO OUT TO THE BARN TOMORROW and Check out any # s and Measure and count the holes etc. it is 1966 or 1967 V/8 I AM Taking Pictures also , But! Do Not Know ? How to Contact you ? SEND YOU THOSE PIC'S Or AM I ABLE TO POST PIC'S ON THIS SIGHT ( 14 POINT'S ??? I THINK ??) WELL, WILL PROBABLY PUT AD ON E-BAY WITH PIC'S AND BE ABLE TO SEND YOU A MSG WITH THE AD # ( BUT! MAYBE CAN NOT THAT EITHER .. Well , Later ! Mike in North Central FLorida 32148
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic