TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Build Thread - 71 Javelin Road Racer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Build Thread - 71 Javelin Road Racer
    Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 11:15am
Fellas -

Well, the build has officially started, so figured I'd get a build thread going.

Story starts in October, 2008.  I was perusing the local Craigslist ads and saw that there was a 401 equipped 71 Javelin about 5 miles from my house.  I've never owned an AMC, but just about everything else ('66-'69 Fairlanes, '66 Vettes, '67-'69 Camaros, '66-'67 SS396 Chevelles, '69-'70  Ram Air III and IV GTO's & Judges, 68 hemi Roadrunner, 71 440 4 sp GTX, CJ-7's, etc).

Anyway, the car was a stalled project - - rebuilt 401 (original Z code), fresh TH400 (originally came with a Borg Warner auto), P/S, PDB, tinted glass, AMC 20 w/3.15 open, Canary Yellow with green corduroy interior, gauges, Rim-blo wheel, tilt wheel, space-saver spare, console, A/C, luggage rack, etc.  Body was partially disassembled.  Interior was partially disassembled, too, with the dash completely apart and wiring was/is a total mess.  Suspension was all painted yellow (including springs, control arms, sway bar, tie rods, etc), which I will remedy.  Car was not running or driving, but the drivetrain was installed.  Came with LOTS of extra parts, too.  Best part about the car was the body - it was an original California car and completely rust free.  Just had a dent in one of the fenders.  Owner was a nice guy, but seemed like he had run out of time and energy on the car and just wanted it gone.

So, I bought the car and ended up selling enough of the spare parts that the car actually paid for itself.  Since then, I yanked the drivetrain, disassembled the 401 and brought it to my machine shop for a checkup.  I also sourced a close ratio T-10 4 speed to replace the TH400.

Have sold a few cars since I bought the Javelin (Roadrunner, 71 GTX, 2 x '69 GTO Judges), but this one is a keeper.

Below picture is of the car in California, two owners before me -

More to follow.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by bulletpruf - Dec/23/2010 at 1:13pm
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 12:28pm
hey Scott,
where's the picture?

can't wait to see how your build develops!

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by asifnyc asifnyc wrote:

hey Scott,
where's the picture?

can't wait to see how your build develops!

Picture shows up for me; it's a link from photobucket.

Yeah, I'm kind of anxious to see it develop as well.  I think the car is going to end up somewhere between your street Javelin and your full race Javelin. 

Really appreciate all the info and tips you've provided along the way. 

Thanks,

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 2:34pm
Photo is a side shot of a yellow car.  I see it.
larue390@comcast.net
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 10:47pm
This should be a good build to follow....Wink
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

401Eric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 6:21am
Hey, I may know this car! Was it's former California owner a guy who lived behind the DMV in Riverside? 1990ish? It still had the Borg at that time and I want to say it had a Performer intake. I could have bought the car, he was open to selling it but my situation suddenly changed and I had to pass on it. Broke my heart.
Regards, Eric 

Edited by 401Eric - Dec/24/2010 at 6:41am
74 Hornet 401 "C.K.10"

74 Cop Matador 401 "Runner"

71 Javelin AMX 401 Go Pack "Sidewinder"

74 Bricklin 360 AMC powered "Presto"

85 Dodge crew cab tow truck Mopar 360 4bbl "Festus"
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 401Eric 401Eric wrote:

Hey, I may know this car! Was it's former California owner a guy who lived behind the DMV in Riverside? 1990ish? It still had the Borg at that time and I want to say it had a Performer intake. I could have bought the car, he was open to selling it but my situation suddenly changed and I had to pass on it. Broke my heart.Regards, Eric 

Eric,

I do not know anything about its history prior to 2008 except that it came from somewhere in California.

Thanks,

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by 401Eric 401Eric wrote:

Hey, I may know this car! Was it's former California owner a guy who lived behind the DMV in Riverside? 1990ish? It still had the Borg at that time and I want to say it had a Performer intake. I could have bought the car, he was open to selling it but my situation suddenly changed and I had to pass on it. Broke my heart.
Regards, Eric 

Eric -

Ran across some pictures that I forgot that I had on my hard drive.  Is this the guy you're talking about?  I think this is the guy who owned it in California.

Also, here's what the engine looked like at the time.

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 12:17pm
Still sorting out the details of exactly how the car will be built.  The engine is already pretty much set, however.  It's a 401 with ported 291C heads, factory forged 1971 401 crank, reconditioned factory rods with ARP bolts, forged TRW 2380F pistons (about 10.2:1 compression), and a McLeod aluminum flywheel #565100 from Hyatt Racing (engine revs a bit quicker with an aluminum flywheel).  Additional oil line has been added to the lifter valley.  Cam is TBD; plan is for a solid flat tappet with about 250 deg. duration @ .050, and around .500 lift.  Will probably run a Canton 15-554 road race oil pan.  Performer intake.  Have a few carbs to choose from; will likely start with a Holley 700 or Demon 750.  Will probably run Hooker headers and a 3" or so exhaust.  Engine should make 425-450 hp at the flywheel, which is fine by me. 

Trans will likely be a close ratio T-10, at least for now.  It won't be very good at all from a dead stop with a close ratio trans, aluminum flywheel, and a 3.15 or 3.54 gear, but it's not a drag racer.  Upgrade to TKO 600 or something similar at some point is likely.  I need to pick up a Lakewood blowproof bellhousing.

Rear is currently an AMC 20 with 3.15 open.  If I keep that setup, I'll go with Moser axles and a True Trac, Twin Grip, or possibly a spool.  I also have a spare set of 3.54 gears.  Next step up is a full floater 9" with True Trac, coil overs, etc.

Front suspension is stock for now.  I expect to end up with a complete Freak Ride front suspension at some point, but may start off using all factory components, or perhaps an upgrade to coil overs - http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm.  Plan to run a close ratio manual steering box.  One problem with the front suspension is that the PO painted EVERYTHING yellow, including control arms, sway bar, springs, etc.  Really need to pull it apart and paint everything black.

Rear suspension is stock for now.  Will likely start off that way (maybe lowered slightly with lowering blocks), and then upgrade to a 3 link or something similar when I swap to a 9" rear.

Car has factory disk brakes up front.  Might upgrade the pads and see if this will suffice for now.  Would really like to keep the drums out back for now, using upgraded shoes.  I don't want to spend $800 on rear disk brakes (http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm) because I expect to swap a 9" rear with new brakes.

More to follow.

Thanks,

Scott

prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2010 at 9:27am
I believe the Control Freak front suspension uses a steering rack. If you really plan to push the limits of this car, you will want to upgrade the front brakes since parts for the 71-74 Kelsey Hayes brakes are getting tough to find. I am waiting to upgrade to oversize willwoods myself. I have a disc brake equipped 8.8 rear in my javelin with 3:73 limited slip gears that I got complete for $350, much cheaper than just the disc brake kit for the model 20. My car has a full Air Ride setup since the Control Freak stuff wasn't available when I started my project.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic