TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Build Thread - 71 Javelin Road Racer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 12:41am
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

How are the cars progressing, been a while.

I retired from the Army and still am in NC.

My Javelin and 74 RR are still rough drivers that live in the driveway.

69 GTO a nice driver in the garage.

Picked up a sweet 70 455 GTO, in a garage out of state until I get it down here and have a garage space for it.

Sold my 70 RAIV GTO a few weeks ago.  Sorry to see it gone, but had way too much $$$ tied up in it.

68 GTO convt (clone) is getting close to completion.  Just need to install new interior, new top, exhaust, and a few other issues.  It's at my buddy's shop in Fayetteville, NC.

71 Javelin is in hibernation.  After I finish and sell the 68 GTO vert, it's next on the list. 

70 455 car sounds nice.  Not too many of those around.  It's not an original Ram Air car, is it?

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 9:35am
No,
it is not a RA car.

It is an automatic, Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood car.

You could get the RA scoops and even the factory exhaust cut outs briefly on them,
but it was the standard 455 engine.

70 should have been the year of a round port, peak performance 455 RAIV, not sure what they would have called it,
but Delorean left and whoever took over canx it.

Every other GM A body got its peak that year.

One small crack in the dash pad I am going to repair,
the temp gauge not working, and the weird 70 spark ignition thing I have not hooked up, an some cracks in the nose paint (I think it was repainted with the same mix of paint as the body, not a more flexible mix) but other wise show car looking vs. my other drivers.

A relative had just bought it recently,
I got it from them,
just made a trip up north to winterize it,
rides like a dream.

My 71 Javelin "racer" has not gotten further than a factory tach, subframe connectors I made, etc.

Still planning on a roll cage, good belts,
but doubt I will ever spec it for real like yours.

Can't wait to see it when you finish.
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2014 at 12:51pm
Scott,
Was that your RA IV GTO in the new issue of Musclecar Review?
If so, beautiful car!

Alan

1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2014 at 2:29pm
Scott,
Just wanted to give you a couple of heads up issues.  I have the FAF springs (basically what you ordered) on my track car and it is sitting too high.  I'd suggest reversing the spring eyes, which should lower it about an inch and maybe consider a 1.5" to 2" lowering block.  Been researching the heck out of that issue, but so far, that seems like the best solution.  Keep tabs on my build and see what finally comes out of it.  FYI- the weight is closer to 10 lbs per spring on my FAF's so the savings is greater than you thought.
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2014 at 2:49am
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

No,
it is not a RA car.

It is an automatic, Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood car.

You could get the RA scoops and even the factory exhaust cut outs briefly on them,
but it was the standard 455 engine.

70 should have been the year of a round port, peak performance 455 RAIV, not sure what they would have called it,
but Delorean left and whoever took over canx it.

Every other GM A body got its peak that year.

One small crack in the dash pad I am going to repair,
the temp gauge not working, and the weird 70 spark ignition thing I have not hooked up, an some cracks in the nose paint (I think it was repainted with the same mix of paint as the body, not a more flexible mix) but other wise show car looking vs. my other drivers.

A relative had just bought it recently,
I got it from them,
just made a trip up north to winterize it,
rides like a dream.

My 71 Javelin "racer" has not gotten further than a factory tach, subframe connectors I made, etc.

Still planning on a roll cage, good belts,
but doubt I will ever spec it for real like yours.

Can't wait to see it when you finish.

Sweet GTO!  

Yes, they should have done the RAIV 455 in 1970.  Really doesn't make any sense why they didn't.  Thought about building one myself just to see how it would run.

Thanks

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by 360MDJav 360MDJav wrote:

Scott,
Was that your RA IV GTO in the new issue of Musclecar Review?
If so, beautiful car!

Alan

Alan - 

Yep.  That's her.  

Thanks,

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2014 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Javelin74 Javelin74 wrote:

Scott,
Just wanted to give you a couple of heads up issues.  I have the FAF springs (basically what you ordered) on my track car and it is sitting too high.  I'd suggest reversing the spring eyes, which should lower it about an inch and maybe consider a 1.5" to 2" lowering block.  Been researching the heck out of that issue, but so far, that seems like the best solution.  Keep tabs on my build and see what finally comes out of it.  FYI- the weight is closer to 10 lbs per spring on my FAF's so the savings is greater than you thought.

Yeah, my car sits much too high with the springs I ordered.  It will have some more weight and the springs may settle a bit, but doubt it's enough to get it to squat down over the tires.  Thanks for the info; this is helpful.

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 10:41pm
Moving from Korea to Naples, Italy in June.  Thought this would push back the completion date a few more years, but now I'm planning to take the car with me.  Figure I can drop in the engine and trans and get it all loaded up in a shipping container and ship to Naples.  Will have a garage with all my tools and access to lifts on base.  Would be neat to get some vintage AMC iron on the road and on a track in southern Italy. 

Scott
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 10:56am
"Moving to Naples, Italy"... sigh...

Thanks for serving and enjoy Italy...

Will Uncle Sam help with shipping?

Gregg
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2015 at 2:12am
Originally posted by GreggR GreggR wrote:

Will Uncle Sam help with shipping?

Gregg -

Uncle Sam will ship one car for free.  Anything else is out of pocket.  We're shipping the wife's SUV over.  It's a 2013 Infiniti with about 8k miles on it (not much driving here); we'll do some road tripping in Europe and it should do fine on the autobahn, too.  Not sure what the top speed is, but it will do a 14 flat quarter, which ain't shabby for a grocery getter...

On the Javelin, figure I'll need to stuff everything into a 20' shipping container and put it on a boat from the east coast to Naples.  Once I get it to a port, shipping should be about $2,000 or so.

Thanks

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
  Share Topic