TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can You ID This Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2010 at 4:25pm
"Would love to see a side buy side of the two manifolds."
Which ones?

Edited by kirkwood - Dec/26/2010 at 11:27am
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2010 at 9:22am
Here are pictures of the other one I know about.  It has been cut down by someone at some point.  The Dominators on it are period correct for it.

Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2010 at 10:05am
The Trans Am manifolds " tunnel ram" and the Edelbrock Tunnel ram UR 18 next to each others.. see how difference between the two.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 8:00pm
Here you go.. I guess that the Tunnel Ram was never intended to have a plenum but I found one off of ebay that fits on it ok. It has UR11 embossed on it just like the one that fits the UR18 manifold. As you can see by the pictures they have different mounting holes.

Edited by kirkwood - Dec/28/2010 at 10:17am
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 9:05pm
Your pic postings don't work

Allan
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

"Would love to see a side buy side of the two manifolds."
Which ones?

I don't think either would fit under my hood.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 9:46pm
"I don't think either would fit under my hood"

Oh, sure they would. You will just have to lower your front cross member... like about 6-8 inches.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 9:50pm
Jigsaw to the spare hood it is then.LOL
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 9:19am
The T/A cars didnt have that piece between the intake and the carbs like SC397 has.  It was an IR type system with each barrel of the carb supplying fuel to a single cylinder.

Before Ford got Holley to make the Dominator they tried using Autolites.  This setup here was actually designed for T/A racing in 69' but the SCCA gave them a big NO so they designed the Dominator setup that AMC got wind of and built their own.

Ford T/A Autolite setup....

Edited by Javelin_GT - Dec/28/2010 at 9:21am
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 12:28pm
Thanks Kirkwood for fixing the Pics.. Now I can see!!!

Yes, if you add a plenum to it you change the design because a runner has specific length due to harmonics. if you notice the Trans Am manifold and the UR18 are basically the same height without the added plenum.  Using one without a plenum its a whole new beast. I can only imagine what a 304 cubic inch engine runs like with a 2 dominator carbs on IR manifold..WOW

This is truly awesome. I can't believe there hasn't been more info about all this awesome stuff the RKR team developed. Garret Ghezzi, the owner of the SS/AMX with a 290 told me he just purchased some of the 290 blocks used in Trans AM racing.

Thanks for posting this info. I really enjoy learning.

Allan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic