TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can You ID This Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 9:27am
Adam a local guy had 2 or 3 "Kaplan AMC blocks" but sold them back in the 80's to a guy around kenosha..They were unmachined and he sold them cheap...The guy that bought them I don't think has them anymore..have you ever ran accross any of those or have any pics of the blocks?
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 9:33am
There was a guy on either this or the other AMC forum a couple years back who had one.  He wasnt sure what he had.  Said it was a 401 block with a 290 bore, 4 bolt mains, and shorter deck.

The 69 T/A blocks had the short deck and 4 bolt mains.  They failed to homolgate them and the SCCA told Kaplan he couldnt run them after the first or second race.  After this they went back to the factory 290 blocks.

John Martin said all of their engine problems in 69 were because they couldnt run the 4 bolt main blocks.  But they did just fine in 68 with them so who really knows.

I have personllay never seen one of those Kaplan short deck blocks either in pictures or in person.

I do know of a guy who is currently working on building a period correct 69 T/A Javelin with the tunnel ram.  He is one of the guys I know who has one.  He also has the correct 69 Dominators for it and an NOS 69 390 block with a 343 bore.  Kind of like the 70 T/A block only its a 69.  He also has some odd NOS 3.00 stroke crank with BBC rod journals.
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 10:29am
Is that a single-plane Traco intake on the Craig Jackson '69 Javelin from the Coronado speed fest ?
Any other pics of it?

It still looks to me that the IR intake was the basis for the Edelbrock UR-18. The holes in the gaskets in between the halves line up real nice with Dominators. And the runners look the same to me, just cut a bit off the top.

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 10:34am

The Craig Jackson car does have a single plane Traco intake.  I know of only one other guy who has one but have never seen it.  They have a removable top and I am pretty sure they were made in the 70's and not T/A pieces.

Also there was a guy running around with a dual carb Traco intake that had a removable top as well.

That intake may have been the basis for the UR-18 but I have no idea on that.

Edited by Javelin_GT - Dec/24/2010 at 10:35am
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 11:48am
It is not like my manifold but does look like the one pictured with the weiand top which may or may not have been originally on them. I recall an edelbrock UR11 manifold but have never seen one this may be it and the predecessor to the  UR18. I think offenhauser made one too
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 12:37pm
It look like the same as mine. A UR11 plenum bolts up to it too.

(No clue why I can't post pictures any more. Hopefully, someone can fix it)

Edited by kirkwood - Dec/25/2010 at 3:15pm
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 12:51pm

You were missing "http://theamcforum.com/forum/" at the start of the file locations in your IMG tags. Right click on the picture and select "view image info". It will show you the full file path.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 1:13pm
SC397.......you were the second guy I knew who had one.
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

The Craig Jackson car does have a single plane Traco intake.  I know of only one other guy who has one but have never seen it.  They have a removable top and I am pretty sure they were made in the 70's and not T/A pieces.

Removable top?
Now that sounds (and looks) like the "new" Indy Mod Man intakes.
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2010 at 10:47am
Ok I now I feel dumb..Hammer Head

Wow  .. this awesome... I never knew that they had those intake manifolds on an AMC in Trans AM. Awesome information.  I saw that intake on the video to but assumed it was Ford.

So I take it the real reason for the hood bulge is for that Intake?

Would love to see a side buy side of the two manifolds.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic