TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can You ID This Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can You ID This Manifold
    Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 6:41pm
Has an AMC factory part number!!!!!

fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 7:48pm
Tunnel ram?
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 8:42pm
Weiand ?
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 8:47pm
Looks like an individual-runner manifold for a pair of Dominators.
Maybe the forerunner to the UR-18.
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 4:03am

I only know rumors of the company that made them but they were an official American Motors part.

It was also used with the Dominators.  Here is about the only actual picture I have of one on the car.

Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 12:18am
I wonder what car that was on.  is that Even an AMC enine?  is the distributor straight up  ( ford)  or tilted?.

Is that part Number sound even correct?  did they have 448 part numbers in the 70's?  Where did that pic come from? Wish it was clearer, love to get a better view of the manifold.

Hope this get some thinking going on here.

Allan
Don't get me wrong, just trying to clarify what it all about. Cross rams used  68 or 69 in trans am,, Tunnel ram introduced in 71? from Edlebrock?
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 12:39am

Sure looks like Tony Sanchez's intake!

Edited by amx39068 - Dec/24/2010 at 12:40am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 3:06am
I do not own these pictures, saved off the web, unable to give picture credit to proper owner
since I did not save that information.  Thank You to owner of these pictures.
I will remove the pictures if original owner see fit that I do.

Appears to maybe be the same tunnel ram intake manifold in these pictures.
Top piece at least is obviously Weiand, a Dominator to Square Flange adapter maybe ?
Wonder since the top Adapter has "WEIAND" cast into it if the bottom is also Weiand ?

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 9:12am
This was only a rumor until about a year ago when I met with John Martin from the T/A Javelin team in 68 and 69.

Through an inside connection AMC found out Ford was going to run two Dominator carbs for the 1969 Trans AM season.  So the Kaplan team which included John Martin drew up a manifold design and sent it to Edelbrock.  Edelbrock made the intakes but they were never an Edelbrock product.  All the intakes were sent to the Kaplan team.

The early 1969 Trans Am season saw this manifold with the two Dominators on the Javelins for at least the first race in Michigan and possibly the second race.  Then the SCCA outlawed them.

This is why the 1969 T/A Javelins have that huge bubble hood.  It was to clear this intake with the dominators.

My first picture is from a 1970 International FIA Homologation paper set on the 1970 Javelin.  My second picture is a still from a video of the Trans Am race at Michigan.

The 69 Trans Am engines also had a short deck and this is why Phat's pictures show a spacer on the intake.

I currently know two people who have one.  One guy I am not sure even knows what he has.

Edited by Javelin_GT - Dec/24/2010 at 9:13am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2010 at 9:14am
If you want to really read a long thread about the AMC and Ford Dominators in Trans Am check this out.

I am "adtarr" on this board.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic