TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory original batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory original batteries
    Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 4:31pm
I'm looking for the correct battery that left the factory in my '73 Jav/AMX. Anyone know of a source for a correct reproduction?
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 4:33pm
Forgot to mention, also looking for the factory correct flag style battery cables as well. Any leads greatly apprecitated.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 4:54pm
You are in luck , within reason. There are two companies making reproduction period AMC batteries , that are as correct as your going to get. One Restoration Battery, web site here : http://www.restorationbattery.com/amcproducts.html . I've not had dealings with them , so I can't say any thing one way or the other about them. The other older company , that been doing AMC reproduction batteries for a while  now is Antique Auto battery, web site here :http://www.shoporium.com/shops/AntiqueAutoBattery/view_item.php3?id=72187
I had a couple of the Antique Auto batteries and there just like the factory batteries , 3 years and DONE. A battery tender may help , but I've yet to get more then 3 years out of one. I'm inclined to give Restoration Battery a shot next go around. Both batteries runs around the same price , about $200 each sans shipping. Note the 68 to 74 batteries are the same , per say. Antique is missing a couple years on there list I'm currently looking at ,but I'm thinking  the newer Restoration Battery MAY be the better battery. You pay your money and you take your choice. LRDaum
LRDaum
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 5:55pm
If your not too much or a purest try AMARK for the reproduction battery top.  You mount it to a new battery and it looks exactly like it left the factory.   I went a step further and painted the new battery to look like the "clear" AM battery where you could see the liquid level.   It comes in the older script style and also the newer block logo and cost is 1/3 the cost of a repop battery.    Also the side post cable is available from Gordy Chilson ( dolz4 on ebay) ..... I got one from him but haven't installed it yet. 

Edited by sidewinder - Dec/18/2010 at 5:56pm
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

cali201 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 6:45pm
Here is the AMARK battery topper for the '70 and up cars
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 10:12pm
What about the EARLY 70s - that still used the script - I assume sidewinder's would be that 1970 style..........
Now the issue - how do those fit on "modern" batteries that are not exactly the same size as back then? They are usually just a bit different in one or more dimensions.........
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 6:54am
There is a company that makes all versions that the AMC vendors buy from but that you can buy from direrct as well.  The problem is they cost around $225 per battery.  As an alternative to you use a interstate batter with the white bottom and green top and just add AMarks topper and do it for half that price.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 8:51am
Looked at Interstate battries last night at Summit -- they have the "Interstate" logo molded into the side of the white part of the case, so would stick out like a sore thumb -- also, they have the plug in caps sticking up, so you'd have to leave them open under the topper.

Think the best bet is to do like Cali and others and get a flat-top (recessed caps) and paint the case.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 11:41am
If you get a top from AMARK ( early or late style)  you can take it your local battery place and fit the correct size ( AMX and Javelin use a 24-60)  If the battery is black you paint it a cream or off white flat.  Then you tape off the top 1" or so and spray the bottom a medium flat gray. Very light coat so it doesn't really cover the off white completely.   It will look just like the original AMC clear power battery.   I had an original when I did mine and side by side you couldn't tell which was actually the "clear" one.   The best part is that when you have to replace the battery your not shelling out a few hundred for another repoped battery......they don't last forever ...........

Chuck Page 

Edited by sidewinder - Dec/19/2010 at 11:44am
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 12:42pm
I just went through this with Antique Auto Battery.  My last battery lasted only two years and it wouldn't hold a charge any more.

It was explained that the battery, once fully discharged does not know what the polarity should be and won't properly charge.  These batteries need to be on a 4/6/10 AMP trickle charger at least once a month while in storage.  8-12 hours should do it.   Batteries do self discharge, so proper maintenence is required.

The fix for a battery that won't charge is to get your car or another car started, remove the battery in that car and install the fully discharged battery for 10 minutes.  Do not add any acid.  This should tell the battery which is positive and which is negative.  Then use a battery charger to fully charge.

Any questions, call Dolores or Chris at Antique Auto Battery

1-330-425-4500

or contact them at

They were very helpful.  They can explain the process a little better than I may have done.

I also had them fabricate a set of battery cables for my 1971 Javelin/AMX.  They turned out as close to the originals as I have seen.  Not a perfect reproduction, but close.  I can post pictures if anyone wants to see them.

The Interstate Battery solution with the AMARK topper wasn't going to work as stated.  We tried that on another AMC.  The concourse correct solution is the use of the reproduction batteries from Antique.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic