TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory original batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory original batteries
    Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by JGRANTAMX JGRANTAMX wrote:

The reviews I have read about restoration batteries were not good mostly don't last very long and the last generation were some type of smaller gel-cell battery. I have a few show ready batteries.

The last restoration battery I bought (not sure which of the two main "repop" battery suppliers I used) had a standard ETX-30 AGM motorcycle battery epoxied inside the case.  I ruined it due to a bad voltage regulator.  It took a lot of work to get the old battery out of their case, but once I did I put a new ETX-30 back in it for 1/3 the cost of buying another repop battery.  Those batteries were about 350 CCA, as I recall, which is really too small for a 390 cubic inch engine.  I live in Arizona, so it did work for me, but not sure in a cold climate if it would fare so well.  For comparison, the WalMart battery I just bought for my Ford Focus is 600 CCA.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/13/2023 at 7:10pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Jay, I'm wondering if your original batteries are missing a metal 'tag' by the one terminal (negative? I can't recall), that would have date code stamped on it?
Or, did that start a little later in the '70s?
I have an old battery stuffed away in the garage....I'll have to take a peek at it.
Nice that you have those! And, can you show us what you believe to be the date code?

Paul

The two batteries and the reworked topper in the bottom picture are what I have the other two original batteries are pictures I believe were from here. The Weskcar topper was poor quality looks like it was 3D
printed, reworking it with body filler and textured paint saved it from the not going to use it pile.

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 6:00pm
Jay, I'm wondering if your original batteries are missing a metal 'tag' by the one terminal (negative? I can't recall), that would have date code stamped on it?
Or, did that start a little later in the '70s?
I have an old battery stuffed away in the garage....I'll have to take a peek at it.
Nice that you have those! And, can you show us what you believe to be the date code?

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
rockwreck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 5:50pm
I had one of these a few years ago.
It did the job, no problem, the stick-on labels lost their ‘sticky’ after a while.
I think in the bigger picture, gelcel vs acid fill, gelcel is worth the investment.
Just trickle charge them in the off season and/or all the time.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 4:56pm
 I don't believe I have read exactly when the battery logo's changed I would think it takes time to clear out all the inventory in the supply chain. Below is a 60 AH battery that's supposed to be dated 12/71, and a 70 AH from 69 note that neither have red lettering on top. As far as correct I have read shows don't doc points for restoration batteries others might know more. The reviews I have read about restoration batteries were not good mostly don't last very long and the last generation were some type of smaller gel-cell battery. I have a few show ready batteries.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 4:02pm
My understanding is that they started phasing in the new logo on 1/1/70.  Since 1970 was a transition year I think you can get away with it on your '70 AMX.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 3:44pm
I ordered a battery from Kennedy in September. We will see how this holds up. I don’t have the expertise to know how correct it is. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
rockwreck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2022 at 5:00pm
Just got battery.
Beautifully built case.
They don’t do AMC batteries,
So I got a correct sized for AMX
high amperage cranking power.
Not correct, but in 68/69 who cared?
If it fit and worked…..

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 2:23pm
rockwreck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 1:56pm
Just had one of those ‘gel-cel’ recasted batteries go tits up on me.
Tried both Restoration Battery, and also Antique Auto Battery, and they are both among the missing.
Only one I found that is doing a replacement gel-cel wrapped in an old skin is ‘Turbo Start Collector Series
Batteries’
  Jegs and Summit also sell them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic