TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to ID a Twin Grip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 2:57pm
Thought it was only the 2.73 Carrier where the "split" was for Ratio compatibility ?
That a 2.87 and Up all use the same Carrier / Ring & Pinion Sets ?
Replaced a 3.15 with 3.73 20 sum years ago.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 4:26pm
If its the 2.87:1 then I'm assuming the 3.73 will still fit?  I've read somewhere the 2.87 where different to both the 2.73 and the 3.08 and lower making it 3 different carriers????
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 5:49pm
The 3.08 is the cut off for the other makes at least for GM. I would say if the vender wants to know then I would pull the cover and count teeth so you geet the right parts the first time.

Now when I get to the back of my project I know where to look for the stamp. Oh if I cant find it when I have the cover off to change the oil I will count teeth.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by steeters steeters wrote:

Are there any rules about the ratios and the LSD?  For example, if you order a 3.54 ratio is it mandatory that you have LSD?

If you have LSD you should not be driving. It's illegal still in most states anyway, but it impacts your vision, reaction times, etc.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 9:58pm
IIRC, it is the 2.56 gears thats got the weird carrier, the 2.87 up carrier is the same.  but dont quote me on this..............
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

IIRC, it is the 2.56 gears thats got the weird carrier, the 2.87 up carrier is the same.  but dont quote me on this..............

Sounds right to me on a model 20.
I've used a trac lock that had 4.10's and put it in a car with 2.87's.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 3:51am
I have both 2.87 and 3.54 carriers laying here and they are the same.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 9:10pm

I've had this link sent to me.  It might be of interest to some but I'm still unsure.  For my money I betting the 2.87 and lower share the same carrier as the post above states but I'm not 100%.

So, are there 2 or 3 different carrier? 

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 9:28pm
They only show 2 for the M20, and I'm not believing the 3.07 and up otherwise I wouldn't have been able to pull one from an AMX with a 4.10 and drop it in a Spirit with a 2.87.
If it were different, minor shimming wouldn't have brought it into spec for backlash.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2010 at 10:06pm
One of em is on the shelf, the other is in a box. If I can find the one in the box, I'll get pics of em side by side (2.87 and 3.54) and you all can be the judge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic