TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 2:23pm
If you read it carefuly this thread does put it back together. rouge_66 has made a video of me taking one apart and putting it back together. PM him and he can sell you a copy, proceds are donated to this forum. 10$
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
spaghettijet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spaghettijet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 8:26am
how do you set up the end float on the amc20 diff using the orginal axles, I need to adjust mine up. any  help appreciated.
Sparky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 9:55am
I know this thread has been dead for a while, But, nice right up.
One of the biggest frustrations of diff work is crush sleeves. They take a lot of torque to
crush down.
The crush sleeve on the AMC 20 is the same as a Ford 8.8.
There is a crush sleeve iliminater kit for the 8.8 and many in the Jeep world
have been installing this kit in the AMC20. I makes for a much easier install.

Have any of you ever used a Wagoneer AMC20 in a car? They are 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, but have factory one piece axles!  I am not sure how they would measure up width wise?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 5:09pm
I would think there must be a slight preload on them or maybe a couple of thousandths free float. The shims are on the left side. I measured mine at .030" or .032" (one or the other) end float and was pretty sure that was way too much. I removed one of the shims (.030 or .032) so I have .002" pinch or free float, can't remember which.
I just read the TSM (recent acquisition) and they are calling for .004" to .008", .006" desired.
They say to seat it against the bearing cup using a lead hammer and measure the float with a dial indicator set up.

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 6:23pm
Vinny has it right.  To set axle bearing preload, you assemble the axle.  Shims go on the left (drivers) side only.  Hit the left axle a couple of times with a lead or brass hammer to seat the right bearing in the cup, then move the left axle in/out while you have a dial indicator on the end.  Free play is .004-.008, with .006 desired.  Add or remove shims from behind the left backing plate to adjust.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 7:48pm
Good article on this AMC Forum. Mainstream medias often say the AMC model 10 and 20's are 'Dana' (spicer) sourced. As far as I know AMC made their own differentials. "Twin Grip" was the name for model 10 limited slip diffys. (model 20 limited slips were called...?) AMX390 tells us about that book I remember; "Performance American Style", a book made by AMC telling how to rebuild/hop up/modify AMC stockers for high performance/racing applications.

'Performance American Style' recommended to weld the cast iron center carrier to the steel tube axle extensions, and on four speed/man trans cars to weld on angle supports to the leaf spring perches... (I rounded the leaf spring pearches on my man trans 304 Javy, can only imagine a 390 or 401)

I think the Jeep guys know all the sources and how to's for the AMC model 20s?... Bulltear?

AMX Enterprises also sells one piece axles? -at least AMC diffys don't fall apart from a failed 'c-clip' like GM diffys do (with much embarrasment on the dragstrip! -I've seen that happen and laughed my rear off! -having the whole axle and wheel assembly come out the side of the car!)
1979 AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1979 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 10:01pm
Will the dif out of a Jeep AMC20 rear end fit into my AMC20 in my 79 AMX? I am replacing the ring and pinion also.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 11:16pm
The AMC 20 & the 15 were amc built . THE model 20 power lock  limited slip carrier was made by dana spicer. The same carrier style for the Mopar 8 3/4 , dana 60 , early Pontiac & Olds, early 10 bolt chevy were also dana. IIRC the 15 cone clutch was made by Borgwarner .
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by 1979 AMX 1979 AMX wrote:

Will the dif out of a Jeep AMC20 rear end fit into my AMC20 in my 79 AMX? I am replacing the ring and pinion also.

yes
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Rockbreaker View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockbreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 7:48am
I have one of these with Superior one-piece shafts and a Detroit, also have a set of spare shafts (one-piece) but don't know how to go about getting bearing/seal set, I was told they don't interchange.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic