TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 12:47am
I used a press to install the rear pinnion bearing, similar setup was used to install the carrier bearings. You cant press directly against the new bearing or the cage will get damaged, I used an old race as a tool so I only pressed against the inner race of the new bearing.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 12:59am

I mounted the ring gear to the carrier, its a tight fit and care must be taken to not damage bolts or threads. I carefuly start the bolts and in a cris cross pattern tighten them a little at a time. After the ring gear is seated I remove the bolts add loctite and torque to spec. My TSM shows 80 foot lbs, but I have a different set of instructions that say 65 foot lbs.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 6:54am
Brilliant on the notches in that shim to aid future removal.
Nice shots on the bearing installation, etc. - and using an old part, that's exactly what I do. I've even ground or turned a few old bearings and races to act as drivers for the new parts.
Nice.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 7:37am
Thanks for posting pics and info about this process.
Wondering about where I've read that an extra set of Pinion Bearings
can be honed or reamed or in some way have the I.D. slightly enlarged
so they are a slip fit rather than a press fit, and used temporarily for set-up
to determine proper pinion shim to use to get proper pinion depth and lash.
Once proper pinion shim thickness is determined using the slip fit bearings,
then the new pinion bearings can be pressed on using the pre-determined shim.
This prevents needing to press on and off the new pinion bearings more than once.
Is this a valid technique, does it work ?  Only needed when changeing ring and pinion ratio ?

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 7:56am
I've seen it work IF the bearings are the same brand. Otherwise, you can run into what I did - new bearings changed the shims needed considerably - and the direction that can't be explained by wear of the old (and they weren't worn, they were very low mile bearings)
I've done that, but always double-check with the correct final bearings...
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2010 at 12:54am
As far as honing a bearing for a slip fit it might work on some diffs. I think in Muscle Car Review they had an article on rebuilding a GM 10 bolt that honing bearing to a slip fit was suggested. On lots of diffs the pinnion depth shim is installed betweem the rear bearing and the pinnion itself. On the model 20 the depth shim is in the housing behind the rear pinnion race. The problem I ran into was getting that race out of the housing without destroying the shim. Thats why I cut the small knotches pictured in the shim a few pictures back. It allows me to remove the rear pinnion race without touching the shim. It maybe a valid technique, but not for this diff. And as billd pointed out it has its draw backs.2.547I do not have the tool for checking pinnion depth. As far as my determination of the correct shim, If you look at the flat surface of an original pinnion it has an engraved number on it like +6. This means that .006 needs to be added to the 2.547 pinnion depth spec. Making it 2.553. The diff I am working on had a pinnion witn +6 on it and had a .097 thick shim under it. The ring and pinnion I am putting back into it was marked +5 and had a .099 shim under it. As luck would have it the only intact shim I have is .099 that is what i installed.  At this time my backlash is .005 with is to tight, and the pattern looks like the the pinnion maybe to deep. But it may be just the tight backlash. My guess is I may need a .098 shim. This pinnion marking is discussed in the TSM
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2010 at 1:15am
The shinny part of the pinnion seen in the picture is were the plus- minus number is usually at. I tried to take a picture of it but you cant see it. This is the trail assembly The pinnion is installed without the crush sleeve and without the seal. The nut is installed very carefully to preload the pinnion bearings. The carrier was installed with the shims determined earlier for a no end play no preload setting. This makes it so the carrier will slip in and out with very little effort.This results in .005 backlash, I think I need to move the carrier .003 away from the pinnion. I have a .090 shim on the ring gear side and a .091 on the oppisite side. It needs a .087 shim and .094 shim and I think the backlash will be right. Then I can better judge the pattern. On final assyembly the crush sleeve and pinnion seal will need to be installed. And the thickness of each side shim will need to be increased by .004 to properly preload the carrier bearings. Off to see about finding the right shims.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2010 at 6:55am
Show us the gear mesh pattern when done!
(we love pictures, LOL)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2010 at 8:34pm
I have used the honed bearings 3 times on a GM 10 bolt and one time for the AMC 20 in the drag car. and yes I used the same new bearing for hone & use. Only did it that way for the GM 1 time out of 3 it was done.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2010 at 10:28pm
pictures do not show the pattern well, but heres the drive side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic