TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 7:34am
Any opinions about new ring and pinions as far as brands go? Has anyone had trouble with a particular brand? I have found 2 brands so far Motive and Youkon are there others available?

Thanks for any input
                           Buster
a401classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a401classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 5:38am
What is horsepower/torque limit of a fully rebuilt (moser, et al axles) and braced model 20 from, say, a 64 Rambler w/ torque tube?

Thanks,

Scott
roguev8 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguev8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 8:46am
You might want to contact Ed Miller in Pennsylvania at ramblerpower@yahoo.com. Ed has a '64 Classic hardtop with an AMC 327, Borg Warner automatic and a 4.10 rear. Ed has done extensive modifications to his car, and I've seen it run 14.13 in the quarter mile. That's FAST for a 327. I'm sure he can answer your questions about the torque tube/rear assembly
a401classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a401classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 11:06am
Thanks for the reply and contact info!
roguev8 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguev8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 12:38pm
Anytime!
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2016 at 9:22pm
Excellent post and very timely as I am currently rebuilding 2 model 20s our of 68 AMXs - 1 open and 1 twin grip. I have a puller identical to the one pictured and have had no luck getting any of the hubs off with it.  I did get one to come apart by putting the axle in a 12 ton press, but I currently have one in the same 12 ton press for 3 days and it hasn't come off yet.  I have another in a 20 ton press and no luck there either, I even tried a little heat on that one.  will probably take them to a machine shop with a larger press.  Soaking them in penetrating oil too!
1968 AMX 390 4speed
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2016 at 10:56pm
If you are pulling hubs with a puller like I have take the nut off remove the washer and put the nut back on to just past flush with the end of the axle. Tighten the pressure screw as tight as you can then hit the end of the screw with a big hammer, I use a big brass hammer. Most times 1 or 2 hits and it will come apart. The original amc tool uses a wedge that is pounded into place to remove. The impact is as important as the pressure of the screw. That is why a press dont work always work.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
eggsplurt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggsplurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 8:02am
OK Guys.....looking for some advice/info here on a 1965 Twin-Grip Rambler Posi Unit....I need clutch packs and want to know if my only availability are the ones from Galvins, Blazers, etc......meaning, what are my options as far as them being the same in various other posi-rears or AMC M20's into the 70's......Please give me a call in thanks in advance for the info......Steve.....N.J.....732-530-2061
Glenn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2016 at 8:45pm
I am having the same issue. I have a 68 Jav AMC20 that I couldn't get my hubs off. I even had the original AMC puller. I bent the wedge to a point where it was useless and no give. I got a spare AMC 20 to practice with on the bench. I tried my 10 ton puller, similar to yours but no give. We got a 4times industrial multiplier and 4 foot pipe on the puller and bang! Thought it gave but the axle split in 3 places! Now I'm afraid to try my axles on the car. I have no back up. Didn't know about the nut on the axle idea.
-GH-
gtpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2016 at 9:04pm

I did find the best way by far to remove the hub and it works every time.  First pull the axle complete with bearing, seal, and backing plate.  Cut the outer race off with a torch, trim the rubber out of the outer seal so you can remove the seal and backing plate.  Then put the axle in a press as shown with the axle nut in placed to prevent the shaft from flying, put a large plate between the ram and the axle, put as much pressure on the end of the axle as the press can and smack the end of the plate with the biggest hammer you can find.  I guarantee it will come off. 
1968 AMX 390 4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
  Share Topic