TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:51am
Just one thing to note on early AMC 20's, the ring gear and pinion are NOT direct interchange, even on closed driveshaft (torque tube cars), there are two different carriers, that require different gears...they are about .100 different in thickness on the ring gear flange...found out the hard way, you can't offset with shims.  They also used 3/8" ring gear bolts instead of 7/16" (as used on later rears).  Lots of caustion here.  One more thing the closed driveshaft cars used different pinion bearings then open driveshaft cars.....much heavier looking on closed driveshaft.  Lots of Notes in the parts book on this area.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
elkyman70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkyman70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the good info. Spinning the shaft on the hub wasn't something I'd thought of but thinking about it that's very possible. Never had a car that might do that but I have to admit if I was to guess that's about the right noise I would expect one to make.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:45pm
Is there any specific way to tell what carrier is what?
I'm going to dissect a 65 twingrip and would like to know what possible use it would be.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
roguev8 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguev8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 11:20am
I just rejoined and am just catching up. I have to change the oil in my differential. It is a '67 Rogue with a Model 20 and Twin Grip, 3.15. The Tech Manual says to use only AMC Twin Grip Oil. It also says that it never needs changing except at repair time. I have several quarts of Twin Grip Oil that I acquired a long time ago. Is this oil still usable? The cans are sealed. What would be an alternative oil to use.
Thanks!
Larry Blatt, PA
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 1:08pm
Those cans of twingrip lube may be worth more unopened ! !

But I should think that if they have no leaks, rusty spots, been sealed, out of the sun, away from heat, giving them a good shaking before opening, they should be useable.

I've never heard of gear lube going bad over time in a sealed container.

Armand

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 1:14pm
Almost forgot,

GM still sells an additive in small cans for their version of twingrip. Available at GM dealers.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by roguev8 roguev8 wrote:

I just rejoined and am just catching up. I have to change the oil in my differential. It is a '67 Rogue with a Model 20 and Twin Grip, 3.15. The Tech Manual says to use only AMC Twin Grip Oil. It also says that it never needs changing except at repair time. I have several quarts of Twin Grip Oil that I acquired a long time ago. Is this oil still usable? The cans are sealed. What would be an alternative oil to use.
Thanks!
Larry Blatt, PA

Use new oil and either GM or Ford additive. The technology of oil has come so far forward in the past 40 years that you might be silly to use that old stuff. I did my 69 AMX twin grip with a modern semi-synth and Ford's additive (about $7 a bottle at any dealer) and haven't had a bit of problem.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 4:36pm
Larry,

I bought a bunch of "older" gear oil a few years back and my Lubrication Engineer at Mobil (who is also a car guy) said that the EP (Extreme Pressure) qualities of a typical gear oil become less effective as age goes on and recommended I not use "vintage" lubricant.  This guy solved some serious aviation lubricant issues I had and came from the automotive side of their house.  He was one of the original test engineers for Mobil 1 back in the late 60's/early 70's...he also helped testing on Synthetic Aerospace Greases that are still used today.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
roguev8 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguev8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 8:14pm
Bob;

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a specific brand, type, and weight? I don't want to put in the wrong stuff. What did you use?
Thanks!
Larry
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 8:31pm
I have been using Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W90 synthetic for a number of years and have been very happy with it. It has the friction modifiers already in it so it is just fill and go.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
  Share Topic