TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: model 20 answers
    Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 11:24pm
I was provided with this diff to tear down and discuss different topics about them. I have a few pictures from taking it apart, any interest in discussing it here? Kind of a wierd combo, open diff and 9 and 40 tooth count. Thats 4:44 to one gears.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
7Xpacemaker View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7Xpacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 4:37am
Yes, I am always interested in learning. I have never done a rear and would like to see you do this. It would be most informative.
C.J.

1981 AMC Concord
1977 AMC Hornet AMX
2001 Firebird Convertible LS1
1978 AMC Concord
1982 AMC Spirit GT
1974 AMC Hornet

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 5:57am
R U going to go through the proper setup procedure for differentials? (the model 20 being really no different than any other in that regard)
Including the axle end-play settings, etc.?
Or just the inner differential? Pinion depth, preload, etc. etc.?

U can use these if you want..................

Use the spreader here to spread housing to set carrier in place with shims ->

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 10:53pm
I intend to present as complete as possible rebuild on this axle. As in every rebuild there can be many ways to get to the same end, this is my way. I will use a 70 TSM for reference, crosschecking to a 72 TSM for errors. If anything is not clear ask questions. Any opinions are welcome.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 11:01pm
Since no history is known about this differental a complete teardown to inspect is in order. The only thing I have noticed is that it has one tooth broken on a spider gear. Not sure it will show up in pictures. In order to set the axle end play the hubs will need to be removed. Might as well do it first to inspect the axle bearings, axles and hubs. This is the tool I use to remove the hubs it has never failed me. I remove the axle nut and remove the washer under it then install the nut as shown, when the hub comes off it literaly jumps off.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 11:08pm
The pasengers side hub was difficult to remove as expected, the drivers side came off with very little effort. No signs of damage to the axle, but all the wheel studs on that hub have been tack welded in from the back side. Not sure I want to reuse that hub.Unhappy
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 11:15pm
This shows the axle bearings after the outer seal, dust cover, and brake backing plate have been removed. The TSM shows a special tool number J-2498 to pull the axles out of the housing. Never have seen one. What works for me is to hit one axle with a dead blow and this knocks the oposite axle out, then swap sides for other side. Helps to have a partner watch the axle that is coming out to keep it from hitting the floor.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 11:29pm
Comparison of a stock axle and a moser axle. Looking at the stock axle both sides of the bearing have a seal surface that is about 1.375 inches. The inner seal goes in the axle housing and the outer seal is installed after the axle is installed into the housing. The first machined surface on the moser axle is 1.375inches also, and the bearing presses on up to the step. After the step the axle is close to 1.475 inches, a outer seal would need to ride in this area. It will go on but it is real tight, so tight I think the seal would burn up. But I think the metal plate that the seal rides in is important to retain the axle. Any input? Not sure at this time what axles I am going to use yet.      

Edited by 1970390amx - Nov/03/2010 at 11:19pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2010 at 5:44am
I wonder why the difference in the seal area diameter? I'd like to run the outer seal if I used those axles. Otherwise you get "Crud" in that area. I guess I don't understand their reasoning to not count on using the outer seal.
The metal plate of the seal doesn't really do much to retain the axle - that's the backing plate.  It is a pretty heavy piece..... so probably "strengthens" the backing plate in that mounting area.

That's pretty much how I remove axles - smack one side, it knocks the other out due to the spacer block between 'em. Otherwise, I have a very large slide-hammer that works, too.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2010 at 6:26pm
Bill the bearings used with the Moser axles are sealed unlike the stock ones that you have to pack with greas like in your picture. I would have to pull the wheel & drum and that is not happening any time soon, to see if I used the outter seal. Here are some pictures I have of the retainer.

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic