TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 pushrod length???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMConverted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 pushrod length???
    Posted: Oct/31/2010 at 10:42pm
Was wondering if somebody was able to give me the exact length of a 232 pushrod please. After replacing the cam, bearings, oil pump, lifters, rockers and rocker shaft, I still have a noise in my engine. It actually sounds like a chaff cutter at idle. My engine reconditioner is wondering if maybe somebody has put the wrong pushrods in this engine in the past and there may not be enough tension on the lifters(due to possibly shorter pushrods being used?). They may have even been lost and replaced with something from another engine and may not be right. Also do the pushrods vary in length from 199 to 232 etc, and are they shorter or longer? Also are the 199 and 232 heads interchangeable(questioning the heights of the head)? We are starting to run out of options with this problem, and are trying to cover all bases. Thanks in advance.
1967 Rambler American

I'm not old, I'm just old school.

jayson738 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayson738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 6:31am
Go to your local speed shop and get an adjustable pushrod so you can make sure that you get the correct length.  Just preload the lifter so its in the center of its travle and measure the adjustable pushrod and order that length.  I believe that the 71 up 232's have longer pushrods due to an increase in deck hieght.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 7:30am
That's correct -- 71+ pushrods are longer than pre 71. 64-70 should be the same in the 199 or 232. 
Frank Swygert
AMConverted View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMConverted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 1:00pm
That will be my plan if I can get a measurement of the pushrod. I dont like the idea of chasing my tail replacing this and replacing that just to find it wasnt the problem. I've already spent $1000 to find the initial problem still exists.
1967 Rambler American

AMConverted View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMConverted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 2:04pm
My pushrod length is 24 cm or 9.45 ". Can anyone confirm whether this pushrod is right for the 232? Thanks.
1967 Rambler American

nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2010 at 5:34pm
On my dismanteled 232 1966 , as accurate as I can read ( my caliper is only 15 cm / 8 inches wide ) , they are 23.9 cm  .
I couldn t say if the 1 mm difference is because my engine was to be rebuild ..
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic