TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet Caliper Part Number Application??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carnutofthedecade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet Caliper Part Number Application??
    Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 8:12pm
I recently took my '74 Hornet Sportabout into the shop to have an AMC 20 rear axle installed, along with a complete brake job.  The car is a 232 six with an automatic transmission.

-First of all, we realized that the parking brake levers were missing off of the AMC 20 axle that I had.  Does anyone know were I can find these levers so the parking brakes will be operational?

-The worst part was apparently disc brakes were added to what was probably a drum brake car.  The pads that are currently on the car were apparently ground down to fit the calipers, not to mention that they weren't sliding correctly resulting in only one pad touching the disc.  After calling every parts store in Santa Fe, my mechanic hasn't been able to locate the proper pads for these calipers.

-The calipers are stamped Bendix; part number 2238366-R and 2238365-L

Are these calipers off of a later AMC product by any chance?

Thanks!

Edited by Carnutofthedecade - Aug/26/2010 at 8:13pm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:21pm
Any way you can post up some pictures of the calipers? I would think you can get the cross bar & spring that fits 1 end from the parts house. You will need to know the brake size.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Carnutofthedecade View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carnutofthedecade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:34pm
I will see if I can get some photos early next week.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:52pm
The rotors up front would not be solid, not vented, would they? Also how are the calipers held to the bracket?
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carnutofthedecade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2010 at 2:10pm
O.K., I finally got some photos and more numbers and dimensions for the front brakes.

-The rotors are vented as you will see in the photos.

-There is about 9-1/2 inches between the control arms (I was wondering if this is the correct spindle height).

-The calipers are Bendix.

-Numbers on the passenger's side are:

LO-5
3348366-R
6 156

-The other thing I noticed is that the brake splash shields are flat at the bottom.

-Can anyone tell if factory replacement calipers for a 1974 model year Hornet can bolt in (I can get some Raybestos locally).

Thanks all!

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2010 at 7:26pm
D92 pads
nightrider View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 2:32pm
They look exactly like 77 Hornet calipers.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carnutofthedecade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 7:22pm
Well if Peter is correct about the D92 pads, these would be 1975-'76 calipers.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Carnutofthedecade Carnutofthedecade wrote:

Well if Peter is correct about the D92 pads, these would be 1975-'76 calipers.
I was going to say they look like the ones on my 76 Gremlin and I installed on my 70 Javelin that came from a 76 Gremlin too.
BTW Ford used that same kind of setup, bolt to hold the wedge lock in place that holds the caliper to the brackets.

The 83 Concord calipers on my 70 street Javelin are like the GM setup with long bolts from the back side the calipers move on.
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Sep/09/2010 at 9:53pm

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic