TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin AMX vs SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOECAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin AMX vs SST
    Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 2:06pm
Hi! I would like some opinions
I bought a 1971 Javelin SST in let's say decent shape, it need some minor body work and interior. but engine has been rebuilt recently, plus the fact that it has never been repainted or body worked. so it is bondo free,  as well as rust free (it is a california car). In other words it is a good proyect!
now this been said,
The previous owner had a lot of parts to make an AMX clone with it:

Rear and front spoiler

Door panels and instument cluster trim

Intrument cluster (tic-toc-tach)

AMC am/fm radio

emblems

well everything even a 401 engine (which I did not buy from him, I am ok with a 304 on the car and is has been rebuilt)

Except the cowl hood which he did not have!

So I need your opinion guys:
should I go ahead and make an AMX clone with it or keep it SST stock!
what would be more valuable?      
nufdum View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nufdum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 6:07am
Value is up to you, I think an AMX (or well done clone) would sell quicker and likley for more than an SST. That being said I have an SST and want to keep mine as factory as I can.
Overall it's up to you, It's your car! Do what makes you happy! Build it for your own enjoyment and dont worry about what other people think!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 7:11am
Opinions are like belly buttons...everyoone has one.  In my opinion, if you are going to make a occasional driver out of the car and have it painted, hang the AMX parts on it and get the 401 from the guy and make it a 71 401 clone AMX, going down the road no one will know and you have a better chance of getting you money back out of it if you need to.  A 304 and a 401 a very similar in cost to have rebuilt, you didn't say what year the 401 is, but no matter the year it may bolt up to the 304 trans but will not last long with the additional power, if you are lucky it is a 1972 or newer that you can bolt a TF 727 to and that combination is very durable, you just need some additional linkage and rewire the neutral safety switch.  Or make it a Street sleeper, keep the car a Javelin SST and put the 401 in but leave off the badges and spoilers.  The value of a 1971 Javelin 304 car is not great, unless it is a high dollar restoration or very low milage original, so build what makes sense, 1971 had some great colors.  One last thing to remember if you want to install the TIc-Toc-Tach, the one piece wiring harness has to be changed or highly modified to accept the gauges.  You can buy a repro harness, but that is $400-$500 more.  Good luck.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 7:13am
go for an SSX

keep it sst, put on the amx spoiler, put in the tach, radio

sell the other parts to fund

i have the exact same situation

1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
JOECAR View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOECAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

go for an SSX

"SSX"
I liked that! Thumbs Up
MoparAGoGo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoparAGoGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by JOECAR JOECAR wrote:

Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

go for an SSX

"SSX"
I liked that! Thumbs Up

"SSX" gets my vote too!
silver71 amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver71 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2010 at 3:23pm
A happy medium seems to be the consensus. It all depends if you expect to sell the car and if you do you can save the rest of the AMX stuff and sell it with.  Right now its your car so put what you think looks the best.  I on the other hand couldn't so I one of each.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 8:48am
I started with a 72 304 SST myself. My car was a $500 junk yard find with a Ford 460 under the hood. There was no way I was going to dump a ton of money restoring this car back to stock with no value. My car is now a highly modified 5.7 Hemi powered car with the AMX hood and most of the rear spoiler. I will not be calling my car an AMX, but you just can't beat the looks of the AMX bolt on's, if you can find them.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 11:10am
I have to say for the 71to 74 cars they look naked without the spoiler, it just makes the body line.

And the cowl hood also really sharpens up the car.
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 12:38pm
I've been considering this question myself for a long time. I've got a 72 Javelin SST with a 304, AC, PS, PDB, and console automatic. 90K mile car but it needs completely going through.

I have all the goodies except a VIN number to clone an AMX. I've got an amazing condition grille tub and grille screen, cowl hood, functional cowl induction breather, Rally-Pak gauges, tilt, AM/FM stereo, rear spoiler, front fiberglass spoiler, 3.15 Twin Grip rear end, AMX dash and door panels, a 401/727 combo and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. heck, I've even got a real 74 AMX parts car too.

The thing is, if I *did* put all this stuff on the car, it would still be a CLONE as designated by the VIN. Not such a big deal but I'm not sure I want to do it. I find myself appreciating the looks of a regular Javelin SST over an AMX. Just looks cleaner and less cluttered. When I first got this Javelin years ago, I installed a rear spoiler I had laying around. More and more, I wish I hadn't done that. 

Sure, I can embark on a full restoration and end up having a cool car. But is it a car that I at-heart feel comfortable with if I clone it?

The 304 has always been more than adequate for my driving style, plus there's an efficiency that the larger engine won't have. 

So, I keep wavering between doing the AMX thing and just putting the Javelin back to stock condition (albeit with the addition of a few nice options). 

In either regard, I know that all those AMX goodies I have aren't losing value so they might end up being a source of fundage whenever I do begin another project.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic