TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Learned a hard lesson, cranks are different.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:34pm
Well our engine swaps were always like-for-like way back, and that's almost too long ago to remember anyway.
Wow, like I said, I believe you, just wanted to be sure that your luck wasn't really all that bad.
Hey, if you can get GOOD PHOTOS of the two cranks, we'll post them in a safe place, a sticky, where folks can see and your situation might save someone else in the future......
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:35pm
Yep, "volcano butt" that is exactly what it looks like! I am so thrilled the thing is coming together. There are some battles but all in all things are looking good, then the whole thing comes to a halt. 

I hate wasting money, I could take the wife out to a nice dinner and show and spend this money and wouldn't think a thing. But to just toss it in the trash, man do I hate that.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:39pm
Sell what you can't use............
FWIW, I've had a year about like that, so I can understand fully.
Make some lemonade (or as Barbara would do if given scraps............)
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:41pm
Well, here is the manual transmission crank. By the way, this is a 1959 non-overdrive American. The automatic crank was from a 1960 American.  

Brian

MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:48pm
So here it will sit for a while longer....

Brian

MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Sell what you can't use............
FWIW, I've had a year about like that, so I can understand fully.
Make some lemonade (or as Barbara would do if given scraps............)

I need to get some things up on ebay, hopefully I can sell it. 

Brian
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 6:58pm
SON OF A BEEEEEEAAACH. You can see it plain as day in this photo! I beat myself up on stuff like this, why didn't I see this? Why didn't the machine shop see it, he had both cranks! But, it is odd, I admit that. I told my brother they were the same, he went with what I said.

Brian

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 7:20pm
Is the bore in the crank deep enough that you could cut the lump off?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 8:03pm
There is out there an AMC supplied adapter; I have seen one and may be able to help you find one, but I can't remember if it lets you adapt the manual with 'hump' to an automatic, or that flat automatic crank to bolt up to a stick. Let's see if Frank has the lowdown on that.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2010 at 8:15pm
I just dropped the right crank off at the UPS store and hopefully it will be good enough to use. I think it was in good shape, only needing .010 undercut.

Thanks for all your concerns guys.

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic