TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marvel Mystery Oil as a Lead Substitute?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marvel Mystery Oil as a Lead Substitute?
    Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 2:12pm
OK...this is to settle a bet.  Can MMO be used as a lead substitute? This is in the 72 Wag (360). We are putting 89 octane in, and adding a can of lead substitute every tank right now.  Our gas here is 10% ethanol. Engine is stock - never been apart and has the 2100 carb.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 2:41pm
Won't hurt but you don't need it.  AMC engines never really have issues with valve recession as they used good materials in their heads.  The lead subs. that are most common use MMT and are more like an octane booster.  I have been running unleaded in the Ambassador for 230,000 miles and never had valve seat issues.  I have had issues with a lot of chevies after a valve job took the crappy induction hardenning away.  AMC must have hardenned them deeper.  So in the end nothing is needed.  MMO is a good product and will help keep your carb clean though.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 5:07pm
Thanks, Steve.

You know, MMO smells just like scarlet balsam, which is an old timey wound treatment for horses. I wonder if that's not the "secret ingredient" in MMO.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 5:34pm
Just run the gas. 
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 5:52pm
you might want to try some ZDDP ( zink)  the new oils don't have enough zi nk for the old motors.....search it on goggle for more info.    add a small bottle every oil change.... 
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 5:59pm
Does this help you engine??:
Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO-CAS Number 95501
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name MINERAL SPIRITS CAS Number 8052413
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS 
You be the judge!

Rebel 327 4-speed
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Rebel 327 Rebel 327 wrote:

Does this help you engine??:
Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO-CAS Number 95501
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name MINERAL SPIRITS CAS Number 8052413
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS 
You be the judge!

so Benzene is a light solvent and Mineral spirits is well, Minerals spirits and Napthenic Hydrocarbons would be like moth balls.  So the mystrey in "Mystery Oil" is moth balls?  This should help work the bugs out of things and it also explains the taste!!!!LOL
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 10:37pm
Yes, that explains how it keeps the bugs out of your engine.
I think perhaps time to add some to this computer..............
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Just run the gas. 
What I would do.........................I dont worry about it.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 11:44pm
Matt is worried about ruining the Wag's engine - I told him to just run gas in it.  LOL.
I'll have him look into the zinc stuff.

Benzene is an interesting little hydrocarbon. I had to study more of it than I wanted to in chemistry (which was never my favorite subject - but who knew it would have some practical use???) - It makes a beautiful molecule - the famous "benzene ring". Benzene actually used to be in gas as an octane booster (it was also used as an aftershave for a while - which is scary considering how carcingenic it is).  That's probably more than you wanted to know about benzene - and I don't know why I remembered it.  I thought I had successfully purged all that stuff from my brain like a bad dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic