TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic ClosedNo oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Topic: No oil pressure
    Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 5:41pm
Shop just called me in re to my AMX. Had it up there getting roller rockers installed and some head work done- said they buttoned it all down and now has no oil pressure- were not any oiling probs before so am looking for ideas of likely causes. They pulled the heads and the manifold but didnt touch front cover/oil pump, dist  etc. They drained all oil out of it yesterday, letting it drain out over nite and after reassembly, refilled it this AM.  Shows no pressure at the gauge and seeing nothing after pulling the filter. Would the oil pump lose its prime? Head gasket(s) maybe blocking a passage,  or ?? Oil pump, etc was all new just little more then a year ago so seriously doubt its that .  I know enough to be dangerous so looking for ideas from more knowledgable folks.
Thanks
Terry

Edited by tlaferri - Jul/31/2010 at 5:42pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 6:14pm
Nothing in or around the heads to affect oil pressure.
Prime would be about it.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 7:40pm
Not likely that the pump would loose prime if they did not remove the front cover and pump gears.  Something sounds fishy like perhaps they accidently disconnected the sending unit wire.

Regardless, easy enough to check.  Just have them pull the dizzy and run the pump with a prime tool.  If it spin freely then there is no oil in the pump.  If it drags the drill and oil is coming out of the pushrod pin holes in the roller rockers then there is oil pressure. 

What did they do to the heads?  Installing roller rockers certainly does not require pulling the heads.

Edited by amx39068 - Jul/31/2010 at 7:41pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Nothing in or around the heads to affect oil pressure.
Prime would be about it.
If this shop pulled the heads because of oil pressure issues...........I sure wouldnt go back there ever again..................heads have not one iota to do with oil pressure..........
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 8:47pm
Perhaps a lifter is out of the bore.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by tlaferri tlaferri wrote:

Shop just called me in re to my AMX. Had it up there getting roller rockers installed and some head work done- said they buttoned it all down and now has no oil pressure- were not any oiling probs before so am looking for ideas of likely causes. They pulled the heads and the manifold but didnt touch front cover/oil pump, dist  etc. They drained all oil out of it yesterday, letting it drain out over nite and after reassembly, refilled it this AM.  Shows no pressure at the gauge and seeing nothing after pulling the filter. Would the oil pump lose its prime? Head gasket(s) maybe blocking a passage,  or ?? Oil pump, etc was all new just little more then a year ago so seriously doubt its that .  I know enough to be dangerous so looking for ideas from more knowledgable folks.
Thanks
Terry
Is there not an issue with roller rockers uncovering the lifter oil hole? Or is this only with high lift cams? I would say the heads where off for the "head work" what you think?
I say it's the roller rockers
Dave ---- 
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 10:17pm
You say that there's no sign of oil when pulling the filter? That would rule out anything on top.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 11:10pm
If they let the oil drain overnight and had the filter off too it lost its prime, need to take the filter off and romove the pump cover, inspect the gears since they were run dry and pack with vaseline and prime with dist out.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 11:16pm
maybe they drained the oil, and didnt refill the crankcase?  dumber things have happened before......the fact they pulled the heads off over no oil pressure sure dont give me any warm feeling about the shop at all.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 11:23pm
He said they did rockers and head work, had no problems with oil pressure before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic