TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Mean71 Mean71 wrote:

Let me repeat this:

I have a rebuilt Borg Warner for sale.  PM me if you're interested!
not gona fit my car.Im gona just carry it out and see what the local shop says.
61 American
82 eagle limited
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

WELL....HERE IN THE HOME OF AMC...A BUDDY CARRIED HIS 68 AMX TRANS INTO THE SHOP....they charged him $1200.00 just for the rebuild......He put it back in himself.Kinda expensive...i thought!
  They tore it all apart...said it needed rebuilt..and it would be $1200.00. keep in mind...this trans shifted fine,he was just  replacing the engine and wanted to get it checked out.no leaks...slip..nothing.Confused

And so you expected this shop to simply look at it, say it's fine, then the thing gets put back in and stops working fine, then you go back to the shop and complain?
No, the shop did exactly as *I* would have done.............
Besides, they may indeed have looked and found worn bands and clutches and dried seals.
"shifting fine" does *NOT* mean it's fine inside and all seals are great. That's no diagnosis of internal condition.
Good thing you left it to the experts to decide! LOL  Wink
You don't carry in a transmission and have it bench-diagnosed by looking at the case.......... and once opened up, you need to replace certain parts anyway.
I dunno what was expected, but IMO, the shop probably did everything right, nothing wrong.
x2------you do have to take it apart to reseal it dont you?  nothings free in this world.
  REALLY!!! THEY DONT USE SILICONE? SEEMS LIKE YOU KINDA GET RAILROADED ON HERE!ConfusedConfused
Shop where I worked didnt.   cant tell you how many 700R4's got burned up because they used silicone on the pan, and they would plug the band servo bleed hole......servo couldnt release, bye bye 700R4!  I used to take the transmissions apart all the time.  if they didnt need parts, we would put in all new seals and whatever it needed.  then it wouldnt be too bad. but we only charged $28 Hr............did a few B/W's too
  yeah...they dont recommend silicone even for pan gaskets.my brother in law used to work for a trans shop too.he said they would only replace what was bad and charge for a complete rebuild.I was just curious how many hours it took just for rebuild not r/r.Smile
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

WELL....HERE IN THE HOME OF AMC...A BUDDY CARRIED HIS 68 AMX TRANS INTO THE SHOP....they charged him $1200.00 just for the rebuild......He put it back in himself.Kinda expensive...i thought!
  They tore it all apart...said it needed rebuilt..and it would be $1200.00. keep in mind...this trans shifted fine,he was just  replacing the engine and wanted to get it checked out.no leaks...slip..nothing.Confused

And so you expected this shop to simply look at it, say it's fine, then the thing gets put back in and stops working fine, then you go back to the shop and complain?
No, the shop did exactly as *I* would have done.............
Besides, they may indeed have looked and found worn bands and clutches and dried seals.
"shifting fine" does *NOT* mean it's fine inside and all seals are great. That's no diagnosis of internal condition.
Good thing you left it to the experts to decide! LOL  Wink
You don't carry in a transmission and have it bench-diagnosed by looking at the case.......... and once opened up, you need to replace certain parts anyway.
I dunno what was expected, but IMO, the shop probably did everything right, nothing wrong.
x2------you do have to take it apart to reseal it dont you?  nothings free in this world.
  REALLY!!! THEY DONT USE SILICONE? SEEMS LIKE YOU KINDA GET RAILROADED ON HERE!ConfusedConfused
Shop where I worked didnt.   cant tell you how many 700R4's got burned up because they used silicone on the pan, and they would plug the band servo bleed hole......servo couldnt release, bye bye 700R4!  I used to take the transmissions apart all the time.  if they didnt need parts, we would put in all new seals and whatever it needed.  then it wouldnt be too bad. but we only charged $28 Hr............did a few B/W's too
  yeah...they dont recommend silicone even for pan gaskets.my brother in law used to work for a trans shop too.he said they would only replace what was bad and charge for a complete rebuild.I was just curious how many hours it took just for rebuild not r/r.Smile
If I took the transmission apart, and cleaned it and all the drums were cleaned, it would take the rebuilder about 5 hrs  providing everything went ok. the valve body would take some more time.....depending what it needed.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 6:44am

Seems pretty common...i get bashedOuch. I was just stating what you could expect.It wasnt my transmission.Another friend of mine brought his Rogue trans. to the same shop $350 complete rebuild [closer with owner]. I checked on getting a t-10 rebuilt there once and they started asking if i was friends with "so an so".$35 dollars an hour is dirt cheap.... Billd  how long does it take to rebuild a b/w auto?

I don't think anyone was intentionally bashing you or anyone............ sometimes we get in a hurry and just type, don't pretty it up none.........
Yeah, I've been told I work too cheap........... in part by customers!
A "carry-in" - if I was ready and stuck with it - a day to do a thorough job.
I don't go really fast, I'm more methodical and precise (some call it being "deliberate"), not quick. (although oddly enough, in the Plymouth Troubleshooting contest back in 75, had the fastest time of anyone which shocked me, really, as I'm not real quick.)

I don't like using silicon on transmissions where it can be avoided. When I do, it's a really thin "skim" layer. I usually use a high-tack adhesive to adhere the gasket to the pan (I used to use 3M's 080001 for example), then a really thin layer of silicon, put things in place, finger-tighten the bolts, let it sit an hour or more, then torque things down. Too much silicon squeezes into the transmission (or where ever) and just makes the gasket move or squish around.

Edited by billd - Jul/29/2010 at 6:47am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 7:32am
I was just curious how many hours it took just for rebuild not r/r.Smile

If I took the transmission apart, and cleaned it and all the drums were cleaned, it would take the rebuilder about 5 hrs  providing everything went ok. the valve body would take some more time.....depending what it needed.
-----------------------------

I just happen to have a 1964 Rambler flat rate manual! The M-35 overhaul time given is 4.5 hours, M-8 6.0 -- not including converter (which would be replaced or sent out to be rebuilt). Remove and replace is listed at 2.3 hours for either.  All the aluminum trannys (M-3x and M-4x) should be about the same, as well as all the cast iron models (M-8 and M-1x).

Note that the flat rate manuals consider that you're in a well equipped shop with a lift and everything you could possibly need right on hand, and you've been factory trained to do all the work. In other words, add about 25% for the typical DIY mechanic, and shops that haven't worked on one of these things in ages (but still remember working on them) will need another 10-20% added too. They also assume that nothing's really jacked up -- a simple overhaul. Finding things wrong as you go adds time!
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 7:58am
Sometimes I beat flat rate, sometimes not.
For the Chevy blower motor replacement, I beat the book by about 2 hours or so, it's a secret how I did it.
At times, things just don't go "by the book" either.......... stuck bolts that take an extra 30 minutes to get out without tearing up threads, and keep in mind, things were new when they devised those times. Little rust or dirt or age.
I recently did an alternator - I have a pretty good mind on how long they should take to disassemble. This one literally took over 30 minutes longer due to RUST and crud. The nut for the pulley didn't want to come off. The pulley was corroded onto the rotor, the case bolts were rusted and didn't want to come out of the case, age, dirt and corrosion cost me almost an extra hour on that one unit! What do you do? If this was 1975, I've have cut things apart and gone to the shelf for new........... some things you just can't buy any more.
If I could find a source for the bolts that hold them together, life would be so much easier!

I take my time.......... and I use tack cloths on all the transmission parts. No lint or dust.
If I COULD do things faster, and know that I could, but decide for some reason to take more time and it's not the fault of the customer, I simply don't charge for my choice. They'll pay the same.
If I do an alternator and know that it would normally take xx time, and I quote them that, but then decide to do something different or a little extra, I usually won't add that in. If it's their choice or request, I will.
Same for transmissions. I try to stick to what I've said I'd do.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 8:56am
I'm the same way Bill! Charge $30-35 an hour, take a little longer, but if I elect to take longer than I should (by choice) just don't charge for that extra time. So instead of 6 hours for that trans I'd probably charge for 8 (but it would take ME 10-12! I'm not really an auto trans guy, but have rebuilt a couple M-35s, and the M-8/1x isn't any more difficult, just bigger and heavier). Then add for extra work if very much. I'd pressure wash the thing included in that time, but if I had to actually scrape and scrub crud off I'd add more time. Have to expect roughly an hour of clean-up on old iron!

Two friends who run local shops charge $50 an hour but go by the book (they work mostly on newer cars). They charge by the hour for things NOT covered by the book -- like stuck bolts and such. So they usually end up with a few hours extra on older (10 year+) cars and trucks -- there's gonna be something all messed up! They end up taking a bit more time than the book allows too, but they aren't dealer trained for one particular make -- work on everything. That makes the time tougher to meet unless it's a make/model they work on frequently. But they tell me as long as it's not more than 1-2 hours over for big jobs (like pulling the engine or trans) they don't charge any extra, but that's why they charge $50 an hour instead of $35-40 too! Of course dealers and big shops are charging $70-80 an hour around here...
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 9:13am
I work on everything, was trained on Chrysler, GM and Ford in college, then later, went to factory training for Ford and GM in Omaha many moons ago.

Typical rates here are 80, some 85. I've found a couple a bit cheaper - just a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic