TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone Using Prothane Engine Mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Using Prothane Engine Mounts?
    Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 4:35pm
When I sold my Gremlin I removed the 401 from it. The driver's side engine mount had separated but thanks to the interlocking tabs it didn't allow the engine to strike the hood.

Prothane makes engine mounts for AMCs and I was wondering if anyone is using them. Are they tough enough to handle lots of torque? Do they have interlocking plates?

Thanks,
-Steve-
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 5:30pm
as far as I know, by law, they have to have the safety device - if there's any chance of seperation ever under any condition.
It's the bond between cushion and metal that's the issue, not the material itself.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 8:38pm
I have a set on the Gremlin....first with a 360 now with a 401....I got mine from
Randy G in TX several years ago.. have not had a problem.....

Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2010 at 1:47am
Here's an easier and cheaper way. Drill a 3/8 hole thru the whole set up and run Grade 8 hardware and locktite the nut.  I forgot what racer told me that one. Acts like a solid mount but absorbs vibration.
heyjavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyjavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 7:27pm
I had a Poly motor mount stud break!  The interlock worked but it seems these (chinesse made) poly mounts had low grade bolts in them instead of grade 8 fasteners.  I don't remmember the brand but I thought it was unusual that the studs were all course threads instead of fine threads. 
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2011 at 11:22pm
I've used them on a couple  cars.  No real bad breaking experiences, but they do tend to melt from header heat during engine break-in.
AllMotor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllMotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 11:06am
Steve we have them on both of our Machines, for few of years now. Zero problems.
We even removed the extra engine tie down strap we used to run with.
I believe if memory serves, we bought them from Andre Jacob's.
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 12:33pm
I had a stock mount on an 80 cherokee that broke.I noticed it from the upward dent from the wingnut on the aircleaner...oops!Shocked It was a 360 engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic